Ford F150 EcoBoost Owners Welcomes You!

Custom Search

Advertise here and reach the F150 Ecoboost community. Click here to find out more.

Ford F150 EcoBoost Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Ford F150 EcoBoost Forum welcomes you to our community! Like most online communities, you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By becoming a member, you'll enjoy these benefits and more:

Receive special discount offers on apparel, parts and merchandise!
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Post your photos to the gallery
• View fewer ads. . .more

Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

F150 EcoBoost Apparel

F150 EcoBoost Hat

F150 EcoBoost Key Chain

F150 EcoBoost Shirt

F150 EB Exhaust

Shop For More Here

Photo
- - - - -

Ford going back to the FL-500-S Oil Filter for the EcoBoost F-150

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cobrapete

cobrapete

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTulsa
  • Current Vehicle:2011 FX2 - 3.5L EcoBoost V6

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:56 PM

Hi guys. We just picked up our EcoBoost F-150 FX2 last week and love it. I've changed the oil already at 400 miles and intend to begin using Royal Purple and their filter when the truck hits 2000-2500 miles. Basically I'm following the Popular Mechanics method to break in the engine.

Out of laziness, I'm just going to copy and paste my post from another forum.

Regarding the oil filter, I contacted Royal Purple to see if they will be offering an oil filter for the FL2055. Champ Labs manufactures oil filters for Royal Purple, K&N and bunch of other brands. The person at Royal Purple contacted Champ Labs about this is his response:

"We are aware of the change that Ford made, but just recently we were informed by Ford that they are changing the spec back to the FL-500-S filter. They originally thought there were issues in the testing, but later found out that there was some injection system problems in their testing and that has all been rectified and they will be changing the spec back to the FL-500-S filter. We currently do not have the bulletin from Ford, all we have now is the Ford bulletin that introduces the FL2055 part number. You can continue to check back with me and when we get this bulletin I will be glad to forward it to you. If you have any other questions, just let me know. So if any of the Ford F-150 3.5 Turbos come in they can use the 20-500 filter."

It looks like it's not a big deal and I bet Champ Labs, which makes like 80% of the world's oil filters, probably won't even begin making the FL-2055 oil filter any time soon.

I would be interested to see the comparison between the Royal Purple's innards and the Motorcraft FL-2055's innards since both filters use a synthetic medium, while everyone else uses paper. Thankfully O'Reilly sells the FL-2055 for $8 and not the $22 you'll pay at the dealer, but I'm going to go with the 20-500 Royal Purple filter.

Even more confirmation...

I had contacted O'Reilly about this issue and that the 2011 F150 FX2 doesn't have the 3.5 available as an option on their website. Apparently the database O'Reilly and their suppliers subscribe to is screwed up. So select Lariat, King Ranch or Platinum for now if you have an FX2.

Anyways, this is the notification O'Reilly received today from Motorcraft:

FORD AUTHORIZED DISTRIBUTOR BULLETIN #11-049

To: (X) Motorcraft Warehouse Distributors
( ) Powertrain Distributors
( ) Motorcraft Battery Distributors
( ) Motorcraft Bulk Oil Distributors
( ) Accessory Distributors

Date: April 29, 2011

Subject: Stop Sale on FL2055 Oil Filter; Replaced by FL500S

Questions: Aftermarket Zone Manager

FL2055 REPLACED BY FL500S
FCSD has issued a Stop Sale & Return on the FL2055 Oil Filter for the new 2011 F150 EcoBoost engine.
· Ford Engineering Teams identified fit issues in using the FL2055, and have decided to discontinue this part number.
· The FL2055 has been replaced by the FL500S (Service Part Number AA5Z-6714-A/FL500S).
· Ford Dealership Parts Managers were notified of the change through DOESII message # 3593 on April 28, 2011.
· Ford Cataloging systems will be updated in the weeks that follow.
· The affected parts should be returned per the claiming instructions below.

RETURN INSTRUCTIONS / CLAIM INFORMATION:
WDs should to return all FL2055 Oil Filters (Service Part Number BU2Z-6731-A) as follows.

CLAIMS FOR THIS CONCERN MUST BE SUBMITTED BY June 1, 2011.
1. CREATE CLAIM THROUGH THE DOESII SYSTEM.
2. WAIT FOR PART RETURN AUTHORIZATION AND BARCODE RETURN LABEL BEFORE RETURNING
PARTS.
3. ONCE RETURN AUTHORIZATION IS ISSUED, RETURN PART TO SPECIFIED LOCATION.

PLEASE INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION ON ALL CLAIMS:
SHIPPER NUMBER - (ACTUAL SHIPPER NUMBER)
COMMENTS = FADB #11-049
RETURN REASON CODE = GI

Edited by cobrapete, 03 May 2011 - 10:57 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 tzolk

tzolk

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MI
  • Current Vehicle:F 150 XLT EcoBoost

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:28 AM

This is all true. Dealer confirmed. I just changed the oil with a 2055 last week. Should I leave it on or go back to a 500s? They stated there may be fit problems? It went on ok and doesn't seem to be leaking. Dealer stated I could replace it with the 500s and bring the 2055 in for a refund.

#3 mikesxpress

mikesxpress

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationFredericksburg, VA/Santee, SC
  • Current Vehicle:2011 EcoBoost SuperCab LB XLT 3.73

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:51 AM

Cool!
We can use the Fram PH10575 or the SuperTech ST10060 filters now.........
Still have to get the Motorcraft oil from Ya'll-Mart.

Ran the Wal-Mart oil filter and SuperTech diesel oil in my 1999 SD till I sold it to buy this EcoBoost and with 279,000 miles on the truck, it never went to the shop for anything except recalls. Oil analysis every 20K and it was fine for another 8K between changes. No need for Amsoil or any of that other snake oil expense if the oil analysis can't justify extended oil life or a significant drop in solids by using it. Not to mention the price.
Full synthetic and fuel milage increase? Not likely.
It's all about the numbers...
Posted Image
Captain Mike (USCG Master 100 GRT)

#4 cobrapete

cobrapete

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTulsa

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:09 PM

This is all true. Dealer confirmed. I just changed the oil with a 2055 last week. Should I leave it on or go back to a 500s? They stated there may be fit problems? It went on ok and doesn't seem to be leaking. Dealer stated I could replace it with the 500s and bring the 2055 in for a refund.

I'd replace it considering the filter straight from the dealer is $22. Get a Royal Purple filter, Ford copied them and used a synthetic fiber medium in the 2055. 20-500 is the filter number.

You sound kind of douchy by implying that I could have made this up. True, I probably could have found out from the dealer myself, but I had other things I was talking to Oreilly and Royal Purple about. In essence, the suppliers and manufacturers are probably more reliable and accurate sources, but the dealer is who carries more liability, too. What I'm trying to say is that there is a more tactful way say what you said without implying the possibility that I could be lying. You did the same thing on F150forum . com.

#5 cobrapete

cobrapete

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTulsa

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:30 PM

Cool!
We can use the Fram PH10575 or the SuperTech ST10060 filters now.........
Still have to get the Motorcraft oil from Ya'll-Mart.

Ran the Wal-Mart oil filter and SuperTech diesel oil in my 1999 SD till I sold it to buy this EcoBoost and with 279,000 miles on the truck, it never went to the shop for anything except recalls. Oil analysis every 20K and it was fine for another 8K between changes. No need for Amsoil or any of that other snake oil expense if the oil analysis can't justify extended oil life or a significant drop in solids by using it. Not to mention the price.
Full synthetic and fuel milage increase? Not likely.
It's all about the numbers...

• 15w-40 is considerably different than 5W-30.
  • Gas and diesel engines are considerably different beasts.
  • The 3.5 EcoBoost may be thoroughly tested through simulations, but it is not time tested like your Super Duty's diesel.
  • Full synthetic not only increases milage, it keeps the engine clean and provides greater protection on a molecular level.
  • Considering that Ford is ultra sensitive to modifications to this engine in the F-150, you couldn't pay me to use the crappiest oil filter money can buy.
I can appreciate your desire to save money, but I suggest you go read some threads over at Bobistheoilguy . com. The "oilphiles" over there can show you test after test that your assertions are wrong. Royal Purple would not be where it is at without being able to backup its claims.

#6 tzolk

tzolk

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MI
  • Current Vehicle:F 150 XLT EcoBoost

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:01 AM

I'd replace it considering the filter straight from the dealer is $22. Get a Royal Purple filter, Ford copied them and used a synthetic fiber medium in the 2055. 20-500 is the filter number.You sound kind of douchy by implying that I could have made this up. True, I probably could have found out from the dealer myself, but I had other things I was talking to Oreilly and Royal Purple about. In essence, the suppliers and manufacturers are probably more reliable and accurate sources, but the dealer is who carries more liability, too. What I'm trying to say is that there is a more tactful way say what you said without implying the possibility that I could be lying. You did the same thing on F150forum . com.

I will probably leave it on till the next change. The dealer isn't that close and Im sure it is ok, the extra filtration is nice. Otherwise, I value all opinions on the forums and think it is healthy to get outside opinions on matters, that is why I called the dealer. I apologize if you feel offended in anyway. My response was purely WTF Ford! I do not enter online forums with the intent of being a keyboard tough guy or the kind that let their Ego do the typing. I'm sure everyone appreciates your information as much as I do. Thank you for the follow up.

Edited by tzolk, 05 May 2011 - 01:04 AM.

#7 mikesxpress

mikesxpress

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:08 AM

Was not intended to offend anyone or detract from the Ford change in filters data published. Good info.
Way to many people get wrapped up in over priced service items because they think paying more is better. I work in the fleet industry for both consumer platforms and DOD tactical/non-tactical gear in addition to marine power systems and the only way to determine if a service type consumable product has any increased (or decreased) value is by scientific data. Not because someone told you it's better. As this relates to the oil/air or other service item you have to check the data. Speaking directly to oil and oil filtration, you have a defined easy method of doing this. Oil analysis. Lots of companies out there doing this but we have a long running program with Blackstone labs as they send the reports via email and it includes all wear/suspended solids/service life of the oil. The filtration is also a big part of the analysis and reflects in the particle size of the suspended solids. Saying that a particular brand of oil or oil filter works better/worse than others without hard independent data to back it up is irresponsible at best. Then the big question is if what RP/Lucas/Amsoil etc.. is offering is so much better, why have the OEM's and the military not adopted the use of these items on a broad scale? We will stop there...................
Posted Image

#8 ecoboost666

ecoboost666

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:2011 FX4 EcoBoost

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:40 PM

I just did my first oil change earlier today and I just saw this thread now. I used the FL2055 like the sticker on the factory filter said to do. I didnt see any fitment issue or leaks as of now. What fitment issue are they reffering to exactly? I'd really prefer to not have to change it until the next oil change since its a PITA to get to... my lord it wasnt placed for easy access. haha.

Any new info on this subject??

#9 RPM

RPM

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Vehicle:F150

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:56 PM

I just did my first oil change earlier today and I just saw this thread now. I used the FL2055 like the sticker on the factory filter said to do. I didnt see any fitment issue or leaks as of now. What fitment issue are they reffering to exactly? I'd really prefer to not have to change it until the next oil change since its a PITA to get to... my lord it wasnt placed for easy access. haha.

Any new info on this subject??

Just picked ours up this week and owners manual states you have to use the FL2055. Dealer made a point to make us aware this is the only filter Ford approves on the ecoboost!

#10 mikesxpress

mikesxpress

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:33 AM

Just picked ours up this week and owners manual states you have to use the FL2055. Dealer made a point to make us aware this is the only filter Ford approves on the ecoboost!

The dealer needs to check his service posts from Ford. FL500S is the filter to be used and those monkeys were to return the FL2055's. The manual was printed prior to the change.
Posted Image

#11 ecoboost666

ecoboost666

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:2011 FX4 EcoBoost

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:03 AM

I emailed my dealer/salesman about this filter situation......here is his response.

The reason they are saying to use the FL500 is that it is a little smaller than the 2055 and is easier to install. They both work the same and there is not a quality issue, it’s all about ease of installation. You are good to go until the next oil change.

I had no issues with getting the 2055 installed, although it is a little tighter fit getting it up to filter location. Other than that, I didnt see any issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users