Custom Search

Advertise here and reach the F150 Ecoboost community. Click here to find out more.

Ford F150 EcoBoost Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Ford F150 EcoBoost Forum welcomes you to our community! Like most online communities, you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By becoming a member, you'll enjoy these benefits and more:

Receive special discount offers on apparel, parts and merchandise!
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Post your photos to the gallery
• View fewer ads. . .more

Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

3 months with an EB

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 EdCaffreyMS

EdCaffreyMS

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationGreat Falls, MT
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F150, Scab, 4x4, Ecoboost

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:21 AM

I've owned my 2011 F150/Scab/EB/4x4 for 3 months now. This truck will "spoil" a person very quickly. It's comfortable, easy to drive, and very user friendly. BUT.....

It's just going on 3,000 miles, and I am yet to achieve more than 16mpg no matter what I do. In that, I am very disappointed. I'm to the point of trying to drive this truck so gently that I just keep it rolling forward.....still the best MPG I can achieve is 16 on the highway.

Right now it's scheduled to go into the dealership next Thursday for the following list of issues:

1. MISS/STUTTER AT IDLE: This issue has been present since taking delivery of the vehicle. At first it was only present at a cold start. It now occurs whether the engine is cold or warm…in Park, Drive, or reverse. At idle, the tach needle flutters, the engine sound changes, and you can physically feel/see the truck intermittently shutter. (2ND TIME TRUCK HAS BEEN IN FOR THIS ISSUE)

2. VERY POOR MPG: The best MPG I have been able to achieve has been 16mpg on the highway…this occurred while driving on flat/level ground, at 64 mph in Alberta, Canada. The best I have been able to achieve “in town” has been 14mpg….and that is while driving the truck as GENTLY as possible, and still keeping it moving forward. (SECOND TIME TRUCK HAS BEEN IN FOR THIS ISSUE)

3. TRANSMISSION/ SHIFTING: 1-2 Upshift AND 2-1 down shift , and 5-4 UP AND DOWN shifts are randomly very hard/violent or “mushy” as if the tranny is searching for the gear. With very light throttle, the 1-2 up shift is randomly VERY hard, with a random loud “clank” that can be heard/felt throughout the vehicle. The 2-1 down shift “stutters”. 5-4 downshift and up shifts do not produce noise, but sometimes the shift is violent, and other times it seems like the transmission is “searching” for the gear.

4. RADIO/CLIMATE CONTROLS/DISPAYS GOING “WACKY”: On 30 June, I was pulling onto I-15 northbound, from 10th Ave. South. Speed was approx 45mph….the radio volume started slowing going up…to maximum. None of the radio or other environmental control would work. When the radio volume indicator reached it’s maximum, all indicators on the radio screen changed to what appeared to be dual climate control indicators (this vehicle DOES NOT have dual climate controls), with two temp readouts, with the fan indicators on full, and the outside temp indicator read 00F. Again, none of the radio or environmental control would operate/work. I pulled over, shut off the truck, restarted it, and everything was normal again…it has not happened again since. (A/C was NOT on, windows where open, and I was driving normally (gently). On 12 July I was making a slow left hand turn, speed approx. 15 mph. The radio started cutting out, then went out totally, including all the LEDs on the display panel. I hit a small bump shortly there after, and the LEDs flashed a couple of time, then everything came back on.

5. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT FLASHING 3X: On 5 July I was traveling at 35mph on the Northwest bypass, flat/level ground. The “Check Engine” indicator flashed three times then went out.
On 8 July, the “Check Engine” light flashed 3X then went out. This time I was traveling at 40 mph on flat level ground (Northwest Bypass) July 11: While driving at 30mph "in town", the Check Engine light flashed again....I did not see exactly how many times it flashed, but know it was at least twice.

6. “BELL TONE” SOUNDING FOR NO REASON: On the return trip on 5 July (see #5), in the same general area (approx 10 mins later), The “bell tone” (like opening the door with the key in the ignition) went off 3 times for what seemed like no reason. (doors were closed, my seatbelt was in place, with speed and terrain as described in #5) No further instances have occurred to date.

I've not even reached 3,000 miles on this truck, and I have already had more concerning issues than I had in 15 years of driving my last truck. At this point I am very concerned that if this truck is exhibiting all these issue, and it's not even really "broken in" yet, what will it be like if I own this truck when it reaches 30-40K miles!?

I've already emailed the list of issue to the Service Manager at the dealership, and have spoken to him in person....informing him that I simply will not accept "We can't replicate the problem". I'm hoping that if nothing else, possibly there is a loose electrical connection somewhere, and maybe that a "reflash" will correct the engine issues. Guess we'll see. When the last problem occurred, I found myself wishing I had never sold my 1987 Toyota pickup!

Edited by EdCaffreyMS, 15 July 2011 - 05:21 AM.

Ed Caffrey, ABS Mastersmith
"The Montana Bladesmith"

www.caffreyknives.net
"Nobody Care What you Know...Until they Know you Care!"

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 rcmcmullen

rcmcmullen

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationAZ
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F-150 EB SC 4x4

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:13 AM

I've owned my 2011 F150/Scab/EB/4x4 for 3 months now. This truck will "spoil" a person very quickly. It's comfortable, easy to drive, and very user friendly. BUT.....

It's just going on 3,000 miles, and I am yet to achieve more than 16mpg no matter what I do. In that, I am very disappointed. I'm to the point of trying to drive this truck so gently that I just keep it rolling forward.....still the best MPG I can achieve is 16 on the highway.

Right now it's scheduled to go into the dealership next Thursday for the following list of issues:

1. MISS/STUTTER AT IDLE: This issue has been present since taking delivery of the vehicle. At first it was only present at a cold start. It now occurs whether the engine is cold or warm…in Park, Drive, or reverse. At idle, the tach needle flutters, the engine sound changes, and you can physically feel/see the truck intermittently shutter. (2ND TIME TRUCK HAS BEEN IN FOR THIS ISSUE)

2. VERY POOR MPG: The best MPG I have been able to achieve has been 16mpg on the highway…this occurred while driving on flat/level ground, at 64 mph in Alberta, Canada. The best I have been able to achieve “in town” has been 14mpg….and that is while driving the truck as GENTLY as possible, and still keeping it moving forward. (SECOND TIME TRUCK HAS BEEN IN FOR THIS ISSUE)

3. TRANSMISSION/ SHIFTING: 1-2 Upshift AND 2-1 down shift , and 5-4 UP AND DOWN shifts are randomly very hard/violent or “mushy” as if the tranny is searching for the gear. With very light throttle, the 1-2 up shift is randomly VERY hard, with a random loud “clank” that can be heard/felt throughout the vehicle. The 2-1 down shift “stutters”. 5-4 downshift and up shifts do not produce noise, but sometimes the shift is violent, and other times it seems like the transmission is “searching” for the gear.

4. RADIO/CLIMATE CONTROLS/DISPAYS GOING “WACKY”: On 30 June, I was pulling onto I-15 northbound, from 10th Ave. South. Speed was approx 45mph….the radio volume started slowing going up…to maximum. None of the radio or other environmental control would work. When the radio volume indicator reached it’s maximum, all indicators on the radio screen changed to what appeared to be dual climate control indicators (this vehicle DOES NOT have dual climate controls), with two temp readouts, with the fan indicators on full, and the outside temp indicator read 00F. Again, none of the radio or environmental control would operate/work. I pulled over, shut off the truck, restarted it, and everything was normal again…it has not happened again since. (A/C was NOT on, windows where open, and I was driving normally (gently). On 12 July I was making a slow left hand turn, speed approx. 15 mph. The radio started cutting out, then went out totally, including all the LEDs on the display panel. I hit a small bump shortly there after, and the LEDs flashed a couple of time, then everything came back on.

5. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT FLASHING 3X: On 5 July I was traveling at 35mph on the Northwest bypass, flat/level ground. The “Check Engine” indicator flashed three times then went out.
On 8 July, the “Check Engine” light flashed 3X then went out. This time I was traveling at 40 mph on flat level ground (Northwest Bypass) July 11: While driving at 30mph "in town", the Check Engine light flashed again....I did not see exactly how many times it flashed, but know it was at least twice.

6. “BELL TONE” SOUNDING FOR NO REASON: On the return trip on 5 July (see #5), in the same general area (approx 10 mins later), The “bell tone” (like opening the door with the key in the ignition) went off 3 times for what seemed like no reason. (doors were closed, my seatbelt was in place, with speed and terrain as described in #5) No further instances have occurred to date.

I've not even reached 3,000 miles on this truck, and I have already had more concerning issues than I had in 15 years of driving my last truck. At this point I am very concerned that if this truck is exhibiting all these issue, and it's not even really "broken in" yet, what will it be like if I own this truck when it reaches 30-40K miles!?

I've already emailed the list of issue to the Service Manager at the dealership, and have spoken to him in person....informing him that I simply will not accept "We can't replicate the problem". I'm hoping that if nothing else, possibly there is a loose electrical connection somewhere, and maybe that a "reflash" will correct the engine issues. Guess we'll see. When the last problem occurred, I found myself wishing I had never sold my 1987 Toyota pickup!

WOW! It sux that you have such a horrible experience with your EB. I've got to admit my mpgs are not the 20+ I was hoping for, but I'm VERY satisfied with my vehicle. I truely hope the dealership can figure and and more importantly fix the issues you are having. I know you'll keep everyone posted. Good luck!!
Toy Hauler
2011 XLT SuperCrew (KC on 5/6/11)
  • Race Red/Ingot Silver Two-Tone
  • 6.5 bed
  • EcoBoost
  • Max Trailer Tow
  • Off-Road
  • E-LOC RR
  • P275/65R18
Toys
  • 2010 Polaris Rzr 4
  • 2008 Polaris Trail Blaser 330
  • 2008 Polaris Trail Boss 330

#3 EdCaffreyMS

EdCaffreyMS

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:16 AM

The biggest disappointment/concern is the stutter that occurs at idle, along with the terrible MPG I'm getting. (I did put different tires on the truck (factory was 265/60R18, and I went to 275/70R18) but the weight difference is so slight I cannot image it impacting MPG 4+ MPG. Of course any "issue" with a truck this new is a concern, and those that are obviously connection/short issues, like the radio acting wacky, just adds to my frustration. I have to wonder just how long it's going to take FoMoCo to own up, and issue recalls...I've been keeping in contact with a number of others with trucks similar to mine, and although the percentage is small, others are experiencing the same issues as me. Right now my strategy is to keep taking it back to the dealership until the problems are fixed, and accept nothing less than having a $40k truck in proper working order. Hopefully things will get solved next Thur, and I can become just another happy F150 owner.

This morning I noticed something else....I was browsing another forum and ran across a thread about "Missing parts" and checked my truck.....under the plastic engine cover, there is a sensor with two mounting holes in the sensor, two threaded receivers/holes on the engine, and only one screw holding it in place. If Ford missed something that obvious, it makes me wonder what other parts they "missed" putting on these trucks?
"The Montana Bladesmith"

www.caffreyknives.net

#4 Prius-150

Prius-150

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F-150 Eco SCREW 4x4 Offroad and Tow package

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:26 PM

The biggest disappointment/concern is the stutter that occurs at idle, along with the terrible MPG I'm getting. (I did put different tires on the truck (factory was 265/60R18, and I went to 275/70R18) but the weight difference is so slight I cannot image it impacting MPG 4+ MPG. Of course any "issue" with a truck this new is a concern, and those that are obviously connection/short issues, like the radio acting wacky, just adds to my frustration. I have to wonder just how long it's going to take FoMoCo to own up, and issue recalls...I've been keeping in contact with a number of others with trucks similar to mine, and although the percentage is small, others are experiencing the same issues as me. Right now my strategy is to keep taking it back to the dealership until the problems are fixed, and accept nothing less than having a $40k truck in proper working order. Hopefully things will get solved next Thur, and I can become just another happy F150 owner.

This morning I noticed something else....I was browsing another forum and ran across a thread about "Missing parts" and checked my truck.....under the plastic engine cover, there is a sensor with two mounting holes in the sensor, two threaded receivers/holes on the engine, and only one screw holding it in place. If Ford missed something that obvious, it makes me wonder what other parts they "missed" putting on these trucks?

That bolt is not supposed to be there. Go look there isn't anything for it to thread into.

#5 EdCaffreyMS

EdCaffreyMS

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:31 AM

Maybe yours is that way, but obviously you didn't read what I wrote:

two threaded receivers/holes on the engine, and only one screw holding it in place

There is a threaded hole on mine without a screw.....just as if they neglected to install it.
"The Montana Bladesmith"

www.caffreyknives.net

#6 EdCaffreyMS

EdCaffreyMS

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:51 AM

My truck was dropped off at the dealership yesterday morning at 7:30am.....still haven't heard anything. I did talk with the Service Manager for about 1/2 hour when I took the truck in....he told me that since this is the second time the truck has been in for SOME of the issues, he would be consulting with Ford for help.

I think I'll stop by around noon today and see where things are at.
"The Montana Bladesmith"

www.caffreyknives.net

#7 EdCaffreyMS

EdCaffreyMS

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:26 AM

Well, the dealership did nothing with my truck last week. They are waiting on Ford to get back to them about the various issues I listed, I suppose they are hoping that Ford already has some solutions. Anyway, I picked the truck up on Friday afternoon and drove it over the weekend. The radio/display blanked out again on me Sunday. I dropped it off again first thing this morning at the dealership.....now we'll wait and see what they come up with.
"The Montana Bladesmith"

www.caffreyknives.net

#8 EdCaffreyMS

EdCaffreyMS

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:43 PM

Well, the truck has been at the dealership for 3 days this week, and I finally had to call today and see where things are. The response was "We can't find any codes, and are waiting for Ford to get back to us." Tomorrow morning I'm going in an if the truck isn't fixed, will be asking for a loaner/rental to drive. Right now I'm concerned that this is going to turn into a goat rope, with the truck sitting there forever, waiting for FoMoCo to respond to the dealership's inquiries.
OH! Here's another bit of icing on the cake....the dealership tells me that they can only submit one issue at a time to FoMoCo.....at the current rate, FoMoCo might have the list of issues responded to in about 5 years!

I find myself regretting ever having sold my old Toyota truck.....I would have never thought that I would be dealing with all these issues on a NEW $40k truck with less than 3K miles on it.

Edited by EdCaffreyMS, 28 July 2011 - 02:45 PM.

"The Montana Bladesmith"

www.caffreyknives.net

#9 EdCaffreyMS

EdCaffreyMS

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:33 AM

UPDATE: After a total of 8 days at the dealership, I picked my truck up last Friday. FoMoCo finally got back to them. The PCM and TCM were "reflashed" with the latest software versions. Here's the interesting part...I learned that since my truck was built, Ford has brought out two new versions of PCM and TCM software for EB equipped F150s. The Service Manager told me that while "updates" are normal, it's very unusual for Ford to bring out completely new software while the production run is in progress...and that it would not be done unless it was necessary. That leads me to believe that there are a lot of other 2011 F150s running around with similar issues to mine.

I left the dealership with a "black box recorder" installed in my truck. Whenever anything "wacky" happens, there is a button for me to push, and it's suppose to record the previous 30-45 seconds of the truck's operation. So far it seems that the reflash is working. I've only had one instance of the "idle stutter", and the truck no longer does it at stop signs/lights. One of the first things I noticed since the reflash is the "Miles to E" on the dash. I topped off the tank yesterday morning, and that reading went to 411! Previously the highest number I have seen is 357. I've only had a change to make a short 20 mile round trip with the truck, but did that right after topping off the tank, and pulled a 21mpg average! Considering the best it's done previously was 16 mpg, that's cause for celebration.
Hopefully this reflash will take care of the issues....so far the radio/electronics have not gone "wacky" either.

As always, the dealership has been nothing short of OUTSTANDING. So far I have had the dealership Owner come to me and ask about my truck and the issues it's had/having. While I was there last Friday, the General Sales Manager pulled me aside and told me that if they could not figure out the issues with my truck, that they would get me a new one! WOW! At the time I was tempted, but I've put some $$ into this truck to make it my own, and if we can make this one "right", I'd rather stick with it.
"The Montana Bladesmith"

www.caffreyknives.net

#10 cliff4570

cliff4570

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSouthern New York
  • Current Vehicle:'11 FX4 Eco S-Crew 5.5'

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:13 PM

UPDATE: After a total of 8 days at the dealership, I picked my truck up last Friday. FoMoCo finally got back to them. The PCM and TCM were "reflashed" with the latest software versions. Here's the interesting part...I learned that since my truck was built, Ford has brought out two new versions of PCM and TCM software for EB equipped F150s. The Service Manager told me that while "updates" are normal, it's very unusual for Ford to bring out completely new software while the production run is in progress...and that it would not be done unless it was necessary. That leads me to believe that there are a lot of other 2011 F150s running around with similar issues to mine.

I left the dealership with a "black box recorder" installed in my truck. Whenever anything "wacky" happens, there is a button for me to push, and it's suppose to record the previous 30-45 seconds of the truck's operation. So far it seems that the reflash is working. I've only had one instance of the "idle stutter", and the truck no longer does it at stop signs/lights. One of the first things I noticed since the reflash is the "Miles to E" on the dash. I topped off the tank yesterday morning, and that reading went to 411! Previously the highest number I have seen is 357. I've only had a change to make a short 20 mile round trip with the truck, but did that right after topping off the tank, and pulled a 21mpg average! Considering the best it's done previously was 16 mpg, that's cause for celebration.
Hopefully this reflash will take care of the issues....so far the radio/electronics have not gone "wacky" either.

As always, the dealership has been nothing short of OUTSTANDING. So far I have had the dealership Owner come to me and ask about my truck and the issues it's had/having. While I was there last Friday, the General Sales Manager pulled me aside and told me that if they could not figure out the issues with my truck, that they would get me a new one! WOW! At the time I was tempted, but I've put some $$ into this truck to make it my own, and if we can make this one "right", I'd rather stick with it.

This is great news. Hopefully the flash will permanently address the MPG issues you have been experiencing. I have been following your posts with interest and would like to know if there was a TSB or other reference for the PCM/TCM updates. I, too, can't seem to get more than 16 MPG on the highway. I have also been having my own transmission horror story that involves TSB 11-7-18 (tranny oil pump produces too much pressure & forces oil past pump seal - affects 2 months of F-150 production ) and also a small 'surge' by the tranny just at the point of stopping. Perhaps the FW updates will also address the 'surging'. When they finally get my transmission fixed (day 13 and counting), I am told that I will get new programming for the unit. Today, I had to escalate the issue with Ford corporate.

Good luck and keep us posted on the fix!

#11 trailertoter

trailertoter

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Locationkansas
  • Current Vehicle:F150

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:51 PM

your truck and mine must be evil twins
i received MY F150 SC long bed 4X4 mid may after my ranger was rolled
the in ital imprison was sweet the first 800-900 miles mpg hwy 19-20 city 17
the first road trip started OK after 7-8 hrs on the road the truck developed a miss or shutter this got worse Finley the truck started surging and stumbling stooped in a rest area for 2 hrs (wouldn't start 3 am) the local ford dealer couldn't look at it for a week (Holiday weekend)
drove the truck home pulling a 1600 lb trailer 3-4 mpg
the selling dealership couldn't find the problem (no fault code) the were told by ford to replace the plugs and coils.
the truck still has a miss the mpg is 14-15 mpg hwy now
when the temp gets over 100 is has a severe stumble and smokes like a diesel
the dash and nav system shuts down and restarts when the electronic temp starts back up it starts in dual mode driver 74 deg blowing as cold air as it can passenger side 60 deg blowing hot air
the dealer cant locate the problem
2 weeks ago during a left turn the truck sounded like marbles in the intake the truck died It did bring on a check engine light
ti is still at the dealership
the factory reps have no idea what happened it melted the intake the throttle body and sensors
at this point the truck has 7000 miles on it i have put 4000 on it the rest by every body else
when it runs it runs great
any ideas

( ford co service cant make a decision on lemon law )

#12 taperk600

taperk600

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationLG, NY
  • Current Vehicle:Arctic Cat 720 SnoPro

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:34 AM

I just got the new software too. First impression is that it is leaner down low. Haven't noticed the black smoke I was getting or the stutter/hesitation at low speed or idle either. Mine was inconsistent with MPGs lately, going from 21-ish when new down to high teens before I had injectors beginning of July. That brought it back up, but only for about 2 weeks, then it started to slide again (and have the stutter/hesitation again too). So, now with the new programming, I was at 21.8 mpg on a 60 miles each way highway trip. And high teens around town the next day after that. Haven't had it out since (use my work truck most of the time.... a 5.4 with 233,xxx miles and has less soot built up in the tailpipe !!!), so don't know if it will last this time.

BUT.... so far so good with the new program. I do hope it's just a matter of getting these trucks out in the real world, getting feedback, and getting the programming corrected once and for all.
2011 Super Crew Lariat EcoBoost in Sterling Grey over black leather. Heated & Cooled Buckets.
6.5 ft box, Max Tow pakage, Off Road Package, 3.73 gears with electric locking rear differential.
Harley Davidson tinted head lights and tail lights. Undercover hard tonneau. Line-X spray-in. More to come.

1999 Chaparral Sunesta 233LE; 5.7 efi Merc/ Bravo 3 outdrive
Scuba yr 'round
Arctic Cats......
2011 600 SnoPro Cross Country
2010 500 SnoPro / D&D 720
2010 SnoPro 500

#13 EdCaffreyMS

EdCaffreyMS

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:34 PM

So far things are going OK with the reflash, but in the past few days another issue has cropped up...

This one has to do with the tranny. If the vehicle is completely cooled down, and I get in, start it up, and put it in gear (from P to D or R) it's as if the tranny fluid is low....it takes the truck 10-15 seconds to "build up" before the gear fully engages and the truck starts moving. I've even tried "reving" it a few times and still the same thing.....looks like another trip to the dealership will be coming up.

I'm starting to feel like a guinea pig.

Edited by EdCaffreyMS, 14 August 2011 - 12:36 PM.

"The Montana Bladesmith"

www.caffreyknives.net

#14 EdCaffreyMS

EdCaffreyMS

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:53 PM

UPDATE: 15 Aug 2011

I thought the "reflash" that the dealership did on my truck had "fixed" most of the issues, but today I drove it 200 miles round trip.
On the away trip I set the cruise at 70, reset the MPG, and got 14.8 on the trip there. Coming home I got out on the road and up to speed, set the cruise at 65, and got 15.8 average on the trip home. NOT HAPPY AT ALL. Today was as close to perfect driving as it gets around here....temp in the high 60s, no wind, and sunny.
About half way home, my electronics went "wacky" again (first time since the reflash)....the radio volume went all the way to max, then the radio display changed to a dual climate control configuration (this truck doesn't have dual climate control). None of the radio knobs, nor the steering wheel controls would work, so I did the same thing I had to do previously....pulled over, shut the truck off, waited about 10 seconds, and then restarted the truck.....everything was back to normal.
Then, about 20 miles from home, I hit a bump, the radio sound went out, and a couple of seconds later the radio display went blank. About 15 seconds later everything came back on.

When I got back to town, I drove straight to the dealership. After walking around outside for a few moments to cool down, I went inside and spoke with the salesman who sold me the truck, and the Finance Manager. Now, this truck has been in the shop a total of 4 times for these issues since I took delivery, and during those visits, they found no "codes"...so the last time FoMoCo told them to reflash it. It seemed to cure everything....the MPG went up to 19 on the highway, and none of the electronic issues had reoccurred....until today.
After the reflash, things were great for a few days, then the MPG started dropping off again, and today the electronics did the same old thing they've done before
Here comes the good part of the story...they are now talking about doing a "buy back" and getting me a new truck. I hate being a pain in the butt, simply because all the folks at the dealership have been super good to me....but on the other hand, I paid in full for this truck when I took delivery....and it's not "right". The General Manager is out until Thursday, so I suspect that I will be talking to him then.
Guess we'll see what happens.
"The Montana Bladesmith"

www.caffreyknives.net

#15 vegasrjr

vegasrjr

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F150 Eco screw 4x4, 373 rear, maxi-tow w/locker

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:04 AM

Well big Ed take heart, my service manager admitted that Ford is working on a fix for the transmission..He also said this forum is not a Ford site, just a blog so they ( Ford and him ) are not interested what we are saying..Read my posts under " General Discussion " ...

Edited by vegasrjr, 28 August 2011 - 10:08 AM.

#16 EdCaffreyMS

EdCaffreyMS

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:00 AM

UPDATE: 6 Sep 2011. I have now owned this truck for 5 months, and in that time it has been in for service/problems 6 times. The most recent visit involved that dealership putting the truck back to completely stock (meaning that they took off the topper, and put "factory" tires on it. After that they installed a "monitor" and drove the truck for a week. In the stock configuration they claimed to get 21.5mpg @ 70 mph, and 17.5mpg "in town" driving.

They reported the electronics issues to FoMoCo, and they came back with a list of grounding point to check....out of the 5 grounding points indicated by FoMoCo, 3 of them were loose!

I think what might have tipped them off was a wacky issue I had.....I had pulled up to the mailbox to pickup our mail, had the driver's window down. When pulling away, I hit the "Max AC" button....the AC did not come on, but the driver's window went half way up...all the way down, then all the way up.....then the AC kicked on. According to the Service manager, those two systems are not connected....BUT, they do share a common grounding point, which was one of those they found loose.

The dealership left the factory tires on it, and kept my topper at the dealership, asking me to drive the truck for two weeks, then report back to them. So far the very best MPG I can eek out of the truck is 18mpg on the highway, and that is ONLY if I keep it BELOW 70 mph. Even nudging the speed to 71 or 72 drops the MPG down into the 14-15 range. What I have found with these trucks is that very minor changes grossly impact MPG. If I had it to do over again, I would have opted for the highest gear ratio I could get in a 4x4, with the 3.7 engine....the EB simply does not live up to the hype of having power, without giving up mileage. On the up side, I have not had a single electronics issue pop up since they found/fixed the loose grounds.

The next visit we'll see if they can fix the 1-2/2-1 and 4-5/5-4 shifting issues. I also still have the stutter/shudder at idle.

I don't know if my expectation were/are to high, or if I bought into all the advertising, but either way, this truck is simply not what I anticipated or expected for my $40K. My thought right now is to keep taking it back to the dealership until it is a "right" as possible, and then just live with it for now....then think about trading it in down the road.
"The Montana Bladesmith"

www.caffreyknives.net

#17 rcmcmullen

rcmcmullen

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:27 AM

UPDATE: 6 Sep 2011. I have now owned this truck for 5 months, and in that time it has been in for service/problems 6 times. The most recent visit involved that dealership putting the truck back to completely stock (meaning that they took off the topper, and put "factory" tires on it. After that they installed a "monitor" and drove the truck for a week. In the stock configuration they claimed to get 21.5mpg @ 70 mph, and 17.5mpg "in town" driving.

They reported the electronics issues to FoMoCo, and they came back with a list of grounding point to check....out of the 5 grounding points indicated by FoMoCo, 3 of them were loose!

I think what might have tipped them off was a wacky issue I had.....I had pulled up to the mailbox to pickup our mail, had the driver's window down. When pulling away, I hit the "Max AC" button....the AC did not come on, but the driver's window went half way up...all the way down, then all the way up.....then the AC kicked on. According to the Service manager, those two systems are not connected....BUT, they do share a common grounding point, which was one of those they found loose.

The dealership left the factory tires on it, and kept my topper at the dealership, asking me to drive the truck for two weeks, then report back to them. So far the very best MPG I can eek out of the truck is 18mpg on the highway, and that is ONLY if I keep it BELOW 70 mph. Even nudging the speed to 71 or 72 drops the MPG down into the 14-15 range. What I have found with these trucks is that very minor changes grossly impact MPG. If I had it to do over again, I would have opted for the highest gear ratio I could get in a 4x4, with the 3.7 engine....the EB simply does not live up to the hype of having power, without giving up mileage. On the up side, I have not had a single electronics issue pop up since they found/fixed the loose grounds.

The next visit we'll see if they can fix the 1-2/2-1 and 4-5/5-4 shifting issues. I also still have the stutter/shudder at idle.

I don't know if my expectation were/are to high, or if I bought into all the advertising, but either way, this truck is simply not what I anticipated or expected for my $40K. My thought right now is to keep taking it back to the dealership until it is a "right" as possible, and then just live with it for now....then think about trading it in down the road.

Hey Ed,

How are you tracking your fuel econony (i.e. by what means)? You say that the moment you increase your speed over 70 mph your fuel econom tanks. I've noticed mine go down slightly, but maybe I'm not tracking it the same way you are. I just monitor the overall average mpg display to track mine. Are you resetting your gadges, or are you hand calculating? I'd be interested in finding out how mine compares.

Rick
Toy Hauler
  • 6.5 bed
  • EcoBoost
  • Max Trailer Tow
  • Off-Road
  • E-LOC RR
  • P275/65R18
Toys
  • 2010 Polaris Rzr 4
  • 2008 Polaris Trail Blaser 330
  • 2008 Polaris Trail Boss 330

#18 EdCaffreyMS

EdCaffreyMS

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:40 PM

When I want to get a "right now" MPG, I will reset the dash gadget. At every fill up, I look at what the dash gadget says, then do "old school" hand calculations with the mileage on the odometer, and the amount of fuel I just put in the truck. To date, the dash gadget is generally about .2 lower than hand calculations.

For example, the last time I got the truck out of the shop, they told me they had gotten 20.4mpg@70mph on the highway. I took the truck out on the same route they did, got it up to 70, set the cruise, then reset the dash gadget. The truck got 20.4mpg on the away trip, and after turning around, setting the cruise on 70, and resetting the dash gadget again, it got 18.9mpg on the return trip.

That's been the saga of this truck......when I get out of the shop, the MPG is great for the first 24-48 hours, then it starts dropping off again. It's happened every time the truck has been in/out of the shop. This last time, I got the truck out of the shop and took it on a long trip (3 1/2 hours each way, and kept it at 69mph or below....got 18.9 average on the dash gadget, and 19.1 by hand. There were a couple of times that I reset the dash gadget, and nudged it up to 73-74 just to see what would happen.......mpg went back down to 14-15......that's why I said what I did about VERY MINOR things having major impact on this truck. I never expected the truck to get the actual sticker highway MPG....but I did expect it to be reasonable close........14-15 on the highway is not even in the same ballaprk as the 21 on the sticker....not to mention that the fine print just below states: Most drivers will see 17-25mpg. YEA RIGHT! :rant2:
"The Montana Bladesmith"

www.caffreyknives.net

#19 EdCaffreyMS

EdCaffreyMS

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:35 AM

UPDATE: 19 Sept 2011

The truck went into the dealership today.....this was the 8th time in 6 months of ownership. Since getting it back the last time, it seems that finding/fixing the loose grounds has solved all the electronics "wackiness"....I've not had another instance occur! :happy feet:

This latest visit to the dealership was for tranny/shifting issues. They updated the PCM to the latest version. I took it around town on errands, and have to say that the tranny behaves MUCH better. The 1-2 shift no longer bounces my head off the headrest, and the 4-5 down shift is acting better. The gear indicator on the dash now shows by default any time the truck is in a forward gear (this is the proof that the PCM had the latest update....the gear indicators on the dash show up by default) If things hold, I may be on my way to becoming a happy F150 owner!

I also took the truck out on the highway for about a 30 mile round trip. on the away portion, I was bucking a head wind, and got 13.4mpg @ 70mph. The return trip yielded 19.4mpg with the tail wind. I don't think I will ever get used to how much minor things impact the MPGs of these trucks. I'm actually gong to pull my mud flaps and take the drive again to see what the difference is......if it means a couple more MPGs, then I'll just deal with a dirty rig and leave the mud flaps off.

Based on my experience with this truck, I simply could not image anyone buying one of these rigs without getting an extended warranty....with all the problems mine has/had from the factory, I have to wonder how things are going to be about the time the base warranty runs out.

All of that being said, here's hoping that from now on, my only reason to stop by the dealership will be to say "Hi!".

Edited by EdCaffreyMS, 20 September 2011 - 05:38 AM.

"The Montana Bladesmith"

www.caffreyknives.net

#20 rcmcmullen

rcmcmullen

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:11 AM

UPDATE: 19 Sept 2011

The truck went into the dealership today.....this was the 8th time in 6 months of ownership. Since getting it back the last time, it seems that finding/fixing the loose grounds has solved all the electronics "wackiness"....I've not had another instance occur! :happy feet:

This latest visit to the dealership was for tranny/shifting issues. They updated the PCM to the latest version. I took it around town on errands, and have to say that the tranny behaves MUCH better. The 1-2 shift no longer bounces my head off the headrest, and the 4-5 down shift is acting better. The gear indicator on the dash now shows by default any time the truck is in a forward gear (this is the proof that the PCM had the latest update....the gear indicators on the dash show up by default) If things hold, I may be on my way to becoming a happy F150 owner!

I also took the truck out on the highway for about a 30 mile round trip. on the away portion, I was bucking a head wind, and got 13.4mpg @ 70mph. The return trip yielded 19.4mpg with the tail wind. I don't think I will ever get used to how much minor things impact the MPGs of these trucks. I'm actually gong to pull my mud flaps and take the drive again to see what the difference is......if it means a couple more MPGs, then I'll just deal with a dirty rig and leave the mud flaps off.

Based on my experience with this truck, I simply could not image anyone buying one of these rigs without getting an extended warranty....with all the problems mine has/had from the factory, I have to wonder how things are going to be about the time the base warranty runs out.

All of that being said, here's hoping that from now on, my only reason to stop by the dealership will be to say "Hi!".

Hey Ed,

Glad to hear things are looking up for you! It's nice to hear that at least someone is having a positive experience trying to get their issues resolved! Good luck and I hope to hear more positive news!

Rick
Toy Hauler
  • 6.5 bed
  • EcoBoost
  • Max Trailer Tow
  • Off-Road
  • E-LOC RR
  • P275/65R18
Toys
  • 2010 Polaris Rzr 4