It's just going on 3,000 miles, and I am yet to achieve more than 16mpg no matter what I do. In that, I am very disappointed. I'm to the point of trying to drive this truck so gently that I just keep it rolling forward.....still the best MPG I can achieve is 16 on the highway.
Right now it's scheduled to go into the dealership next Thursday for the following list of issues:
1. MISS/STUTTER AT IDLE: This issue has been present since taking delivery of the vehicle. At first it was only present at a cold start. It now occurs whether the engine is cold or warm…in Park, Drive, or reverse. At idle, the tach needle flutters, the engine sound changes, and you can physically feel/see the truck intermittently shutter. (2ND TIME TRUCK HAS BEEN IN FOR THIS ISSUE)
2. VERY POOR MPG: The best MPG I have been able to achieve has been 16mpg on the highway…this occurred while driving on flat/level ground, at 64 mph in Alberta, Canada. The best I have been able to achieve “in town” has been 14mpg….and that is while driving the truck as GENTLY as possible, and still keeping it moving forward. (SECOND TIME TRUCK HAS BEEN IN FOR THIS ISSUE)
3. TRANSMISSION/ SHIFTING: 1-2 Upshift AND 2-1 down shift , and 5-4 UP AND DOWN shifts are randomly very hard/violent or “mushy” as if the tranny is searching for the gear. With very light throttle, the 1-2 up shift is randomly VERY hard, with a random loud “clank” that can be heard/felt throughout the vehicle. The 2-1 down shift “stutters”. 5-4 downshift and up shifts do not produce noise, but sometimes the shift is violent, and other times it seems like the transmission is “searching” for the gear.
4. RADIO/CLIMATE CONTROLS/DISPAYS GOING “WACKY”: On 30 June, I was pulling onto I-15 northbound, from 10th Ave. South. Speed was approx 45mph….the radio volume started slowing going up…to maximum. None of the radio or other environmental control would work. When the radio volume indicator reached it’s maximum, all indicators on the radio screen changed to what appeared to be dual climate control indicators (this vehicle DOES NOT have dual climate controls), with two temp readouts, with the fan indicators on full, and the outside temp indicator read 00F. Again, none of the radio or environmental control would operate/work. I pulled over, shut off the truck, restarted it, and everything was normal again…it has not happened again since. (A/C was NOT on, windows where open, and I was driving normally (gently). On 12 July I was making a slow left hand turn, speed approx. 15 mph. The radio started cutting out, then went out totally, including all the LEDs on the display panel. I hit a small bump shortly there after, and the LEDs flashed a couple of time, then everything came back on.
5. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT FLASHING 3X: On 5 July I was traveling at 35mph on the Northwest bypass, flat/level ground. The “Check Engine” indicator flashed three times then went out.
On 8 July, the “Check Engine” light flashed 3X then went out. This time I was traveling at 40 mph on flat level ground (Northwest Bypass) July 11: While driving at 30mph "in town", the Check Engine light flashed again....I did not see exactly how many times it flashed, but know it was at least twice.
6. “BELL TONE” SOUNDING FOR NO REASON: On the return trip on 5 July (see #5), in the same general area (approx 10 mins later), The “bell tone” (like opening the door with the key in the ignition) went off 3 times for what seemed like no reason. (doors were closed, my seatbelt was in place, with speed and terrain as described in #5) No further instances have occurred to date.
I've not even reached 3,000 miles on this truck, and I have already had more concerning issues than I had in 15 years of driving my last truck. At this point I am very concerned that if this truck is exhibiting all these issue, and it's not even really "broken in" yet, what will it be like if I own this truck when it reaches 30-40K miles!?
I've already emailed the list of issue to the Service Manager at the dealership, and have spoken to him in person....informing him that I simply will not accept "We can't replicate the problem". I'm hoping that if nothing else, possibly there is a loose electrical connection somewhere, and maybe that a "reflash" will correct the engine issues. Guess we'll see. When the last problem occurred, I found myself wishing I had never sold my 1987 Toyota pickup!
Edited by EdCaffreyMS, 15 July 2011 - 05:21 AM.