Ford F150 EcoBoost Owners Welcomes You!

Custom Search

Advertise here and reach the F150 Ecoboost community. Click here to find out more.

Ford F150 EcoBoost Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Ford F150 EcoBoost Forum welcomes you to our community! Like most online communities, you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By becoming a member, you'll enjoy these benefits and more:

Receive special discount offers on apparel, parts and merchandise!
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Post your photos to the gallery
• View fewer ads. . .more

Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

F150 EcoBoost Apparel

F150 EcoBoost Hat

F150 EcoBoost Key Chain

F150 EcoBoost Shirt

F150 EB Exhaust

Shop For More Here

Photo

Fuel mileage poor

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 vegasrjr

vegasrjr

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F150 Eco screw 4x4, 373 rear, maxi-tow w/locker

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:58 AM

I have an Eco for 2 months now and very disappointed on fuel mileage..Now before the darts get thrown please be advised , I live in the flat desert with a 55mph speed limit 4 lane hwy as my main road..I realize having a 4x4 with a 373 rear is not going to get the advertised 21 mpg, but 13 to 14 is really off the mark..I don't have red lights or much traffic to contend with and I drive with a light foot...

Save your money and wait for improvements..

Edited by vegasrjr, 20 September 2011 - 09:51 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 RPM

RPM

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Vehicle:F150

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:28 PM

I have an Eco for 2 months now and very disappointed on fuel mileage..Now before the darts get thrown please be advised , I live in the flat desert with a 55mph speed limit 4 lane hwy as my main road..I realize having a 4x4 with a 373 rear is not going to get the advertised 21 mpg, but 13 to 14 is really off the mark..I don't have red lights or much traffic to contend with and I drive with a light foot...

You should have the dealer check it out , we have same set up and get 18.5 to 19 avg. MPG city and highway.

#3 vegasrjr

vegasrjr

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:10 AM

Had dealer check it out and they said nothing was wrong..I got burned by an 2004 6.0 diesel..Ford acted the same way they're acting now..The old " well no TSB's on the problem "..Same story I heard in 04, yet there were numerous complaints as are now with the ECO...

#4 rcmcmullen

rcmcmullen

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationAZ
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F-150 EB SC 4x4

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:49 AM

Had dealer check it out and they said nothing was wrong..I got burned by an 2004 6.0 diesel..Ford acted the same way they're acting now..The old " well no TSB's on the problem "..Same story I heard in 04, yet there were numerous complaints as are now with the ECO...

Like I said, I would NOT let the dealership off the hook! Ask to talk to the Service Manager if you haven't done so already. Ask them to contact Ford concerning the issue. If they refuse then I'd contact Ford directly if the dealership won't. Visit their website and click on the Contact Us link. Then send them a flaming message! I ultimately had to do that in order to find out information about my truck while it was being built and they responded. Unfortunately sometime it takes extreme measures to get some satisfaction!
Toy Hauler
2011 XLT SuperCrew (KC on 5/6/11)
  • Race Red/Ingot Silver Two-Tone
  • 6.5 bed
  • EcoBoost
  • Max Trailer Tow
  • Off-Road
  • E-LOC RR
  • P275/65R18
Toys
  • 2010 Polaris Rzr 4
  • 2008 Polaris Trail Blaser 330
  • 2008 Polaris Trail Boss 330

#5 Christin

Christin

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSudbury, Ontario, Canada
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F-150 Ecoboost Supercrew XTR

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:31 PM

Seriously you have to wait much longer than 2 months to get good mileage or post something like this!! My truck has 10500km(3.73 4x4 Screw with max tow) and im just starting to get good mileage i went from Sudbury to Toronto and Back 820km on 92 liters of gas id say thats a pretty good tank. People need to be patient before saying their trucks have poor mileage. It took my friend 15000-20000km on his 2009 5.4l before he started getting good mileage. On flat ground at 55-60mph i get exactly the EPA numbers posted on the sticker which i think is pretty good.

#6 Christin

Christin

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSudbury, Ontario, Canada
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F-150 Ecoboost Supercrew XTR

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:32 PM

Seriously you have to wait much longer than 2 months to get good mileage or post something like this!! My truck has 10500km(3.73 4x4 Screw with max tow) and im just starting to get good mileage i went from Sudbury to Toronto and Back 820km on 92 liters of gas id say thats a pretty good tank. People need to be patient before saying their trucks have poor mileage. It took my friend 15000-20000km on his 2009 5.4l before he started getting good mileage. On flat ground at 55-60mph i get exactly the EPA numbers posted on the sticker which i think is pretty good.

#7 EdCaffreyMS

EdCaffreyMS

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationGreat Falls, MT
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F150, Scab, 4x4, Ecoboost

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:49 AM

I took delivery of my new F150/EB/Scab/4x4/3:73 in mid April. Since that time I've experienced basically the same MPG. My truck has been into the dealership a total of 4 times now for this, along with other issues. I'm the kind of person who won't accept "We can't find anything" as a valid answer. I had 3 typed pages of issues the last time it was in, some repeats that had never been "fixed".....the point being, I won't let it go. I paid big bucks for this truck, and if it's not "right" they are gona make it that way.

The last time in the shop, after 3 days, the dealership turned to FoMoCo for input. After another 3 days of waiting, FoMoCo told the dealership to "reflash" the truck. Now, here's the interesting part.....since my truck was produced in mid Feb, FoMoCo has release two entirely new versions on software for the PCM and TCM. The Service Manager told me that while updates are fairly common, auto makers don't often issue complete software revisions during a production run, unless there is a good reason. My truck was updated to the most recent version of software, and all of the electrical issues I was having vanished. Concerning the MPG.....the most encouraging them I noticed....when I went to fill up the truck after picking it up from the dealership..... previously the most I had ever seen on the "Miles to E" was 357. This time it went to 411 miles! Since the reflash, I have managed to get to 19mpg on the highway, which is a far cry better than it's previous best of 16.

I think the important thing here is to not give up, and keep taking it back to the dealership until you get satisfaction. Another important point is that by taking issues to the dealership, they generally open a RO (Repair Order). This is how FoMoCo tracks/discovers trends/issues with specific vehicles, and (Hopefully) issues fixes for those trends/issue.

My dealership has been wonderful. After the truck was in for the third time in three months, the General Sales Manager pulled me aside, and told me that if they could not get the issues with my truck corrected, he was willing to get me a new truck! Can't ask for more than that.
Ed Caffrey, ABS Mastersmith
"The Montana Bladesmith"

www.caffreyknives.net
"Nobody Care What you Know...Until they Know you Care!"

#8 trailertoter

trailertoter

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Locationkansas
  • Current Vehicle:F150

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:33 PM

my Eco Boost started at 19-20 mpg at 1000 miles it developed a miss it fuel mileage dropped to 14 mpg the dealer ship changed the plugs and coils the truck still stumbles and hesitates .is been in the shop more then I have had it.

#9 altaforddealer

altaforddealer

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F150 Lariat Crew 4x4 157"

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:14 PM

I just got my Crew 157 WB 4x4 Lariat with the max towing and I am not overly impressed with my mileage either. I have been getting around 250 miles to a tank so far, and the best mileage I can get is 20 is if I slow down to 55 and let everything on the road pass me. I lose over 10mpg from 55 mph to 75 mph and I don't think this little engine has enough balls to carry the truck without relying on the turbos to carry it even cruising empty on the highway. I am very pleased with the power but also very disapointed in the fuel mileage. I've noticed wind effects the mileage very greatly, and as well I had a 600 lb quad in the box today and made a 200 mile drive at 70 mph and burnt 20 gallons of gas that's 10 mpg with only a quad in the back and a slight cross wind 15mph tops. I know this thing will tow but at what cost? as soon as you give it any throttle the injectors just dump fuel. my 2009 5.4 would do the same job and get at least 15 mpg, and on a good day empty would have no trouble getting 19-20. My curiosity wants me to install an air fuel ratio gauge and see what the mixture is on this motor at all points of the power band as I cannot justify a spendy truck that brags fuel economy and burns a third more gas than the perfectly capable one it replaces. Sorry to rant but there has got to be a better way forward with this truck! Perhaps I should stop babying it and go hook up to a trailer and burn some serious fuel? I have just turned 1100 miles so far and I am disappointed greatly with this motor, all in all I think if I was going to do this poorly I might as well have bought a 6.2L and taken the 5.5 foot box, at least you wouldn't sound like an angry minivan when you start it up and you would have enough naturally aspirated torque to keep you moving.

#10 taperk600

taperk600

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationLG, NY
  • Current Vehicle:Arctic Cat 720 SnoPro

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:57 PM

Disagree completely. The truck should perform well when new and progressively get better. Mine did perform well......when new back in February. But is starting to become a pain in the A** nightmare since about 5000 miles. Now am just shy of 10K and AGAIN seeing the same repeating issues....stutter, hesitation, POOR FUEL economy and what I'm starting to think is a tranny issue. Having had diesels for my last 4 trucks, I know what waiting for break-in means...but they all started out decent and just got better. This little engine isn't a diesel and shouldn't need the break-in time of a diesel. God knows it won't last like one...............

my Eco Boost started at 19-20 mpg at 1000 miles it developed a miss it fuel mileage dropped to 14 mpg the dealer ship changed the plugs and coils the truck still stumbles and hesitates .is been in the shop more then I have had it.

same here...but mine was closer to 3K when it's issues started and got real bad about 5K. No plugs or coils yet....but injectors and a re-program

I just got my Crew 157 WB 4x4 Lariat with the max towing and I am not overly impressed with my mileage either. I have been getting around 250 miles to a tank so far, and the best mileage I can get is 20 is if I slow down to 55 and let everything on the road pass me. I lose over 10mpg from 55 mph to 75 mph and I don't think this little engine has enough balls to carry the truck without relying on the turbos to carry it even cruising empty on the highway. I am very pleased with the power but also very disapointed in the fuel mileage. I've noticed wind effects the mileage very greatly, and as well I had a 600 lb quad in the box today and made a 200 mile drive at 70 mph and burnt 20 gallons of gas that's 10 mpg with only a quad in the back and a slight cross wind 15mph tops. I know this thing will tow but at what cost? as soon as you give it any throttle the injectors just dump fuel. my 2009 5.4 would do the same job and get at least 15 mpg, and on a good day empty would have no trouble getting 19-20. My curiosity wants me to install an air fuel ratio gauge and see what the mixture is on this motor at all points of the power band as I cannot justify a spendy truck that brags fuel economy and burns a third more gas than the perfectly capable one it replaces. Sorry to rant but there has got to be a better way forward with this truck! Perhaps I should stop babying it and go hook up to a trailer and burn some serious fuel? I have just turned 1100 miles so far and I am disappointed greatly with this motor, all in all I think if I was going to do this poorly I might as well have bought a 6.2L and taken the 5.5 foot box, at least you wouldn't sound like an angry minivan when you start it up and you would have enough naturally aspirated torque to keep you moving.

on first bold ^^^ ... been thinking the exact same thing. Too much truck, too little engine.

on 2nd bold ^^^... again, too much truck, too little engine

Overall, your post sounds like something I would write. Very similar feels/ experiences. Love the truck. No doubt about that. But beginning to wonder if going with the 6.2 like I was first looking at wouldn't have been the better choice over all.
2011 Super Crew Lariat EcoBoost in Sterling Grey over black leather. Heated & Cooled Buckets.
6.5 ft box, Max Tow pakage, Off Road Package, 3.73 gears with electric locking rear differential.
Harley Davidson tinted head lights and tail lights. Undercover hard tonneau. Line-X spray-in. More to come.

1999 Chaparral Sunesta 233LE; 5.7 efi Merc/ Bravo 3 outdrive
Scuba yr 'round
Arctic Cats......
2011 600 SnoPro Cross Country
2010 500 SnoPro / D&D 720
2010 SnoPro 500

#11 altaforddealer

altaforddealer

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F150 Lariat Crew 4x4 157"

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:08 PM

Disagree completely. The truck should perform well when new and progressively get better. Mine did perform well......when new back in February. But is starting to become a pain in the A** nightmare since about 5000 miles. Now am just shy of 10K and AGAIN seeing the same repeating issues....stutter, hesitation, POOR FUEL economy and what I'm starting to think is a tranny issue. Having had diesels for my last 4 trucks, I know what waiting for break-in means...but they all started out decent and just got better. This little engine isn't a diesel and shouldn't need the break-in time of a diesel. God knows it won't last like one...............

same here...but mine was closer to 3K when it's issues started and got real bad about 5K. No plugs or coils yet....but injectors and a re-program

on first bold ^^^ ... been thinking the exact same thing. Too much truck, too little engine.

on 2nd bold ^^^... again, too much truck, too little engine

Overall, your post sounds like something I would write. Very similar feels/ experiences. Love the truck. No doubt about that. But beginning to wonder if going with the 6.2 like I was first looking at wouldn't have been the better choice over all.

I also feel that fuel quality greatly effects the fuel consumption on this engine depending on the octane and Alcohol content in the fuel it can really drop the range on a tank of fuel. As well I didn't think I would miss my bigger tank on my old truck as much as I do, but I REALLY do miss having the extra 30 Liters of capacity! This is the 8th new truck I have bought from Ford, my most expensive one so far and I am so far pretty let down with this engine, it was too good to be true just as I suspected. As far as the other complaints of missing and stuttering and transmission troubles, I haven't had any of that yet either.

#12 taperk600

taperk600

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationLG, NY
  • Current Vehicle:Arctic Cat 720 SnoPro

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:23 PM

altaforddealer.......... this is the first new Ford for me...previous GM guy. Last 4 trucks were Duramax crew cabs, so "dropping down" to $47K was nice after spending nearly $60K on my 2010 Chevy 2500LTZ........but I too am dissapointed in the motor. LOVE the truck, but it is starting to seem that the hype was just that, hype.........
2011 Super Crew Lariat EcoBoost in Sterling Grey over black leather. Heated & Cooled Buckets.
6.5 ft box, Max Tow pakage, Off Road Package, 3.73 gears with electric locking rear differential.
Harley Davidson tinted head lights and tail lights. Undercover hard tonneau. Line-X spray-in. More to come.

1999 Chaparral Sunesta 233LE; 5.7 efi Merc/ Bravo 3 outdrive
Scuba yr 'round
Arctic Cats......
2011 600 SnoPro Cross Country
2010 500 SnoPro / D&D 720
2010 SnoPro 500

#13 bigwhiteturd

bigwhiteturd

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNorCal
  • Current Vehicle:2011 f150 EB SCREW 4x4 LB

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:02 PM

I have basically the same truck (fx4 luxury pckg) but it has a 6" lift and 35's. I have had nothing but probs with this thing. I have NEVER seen over 12.9 mpg whether I''m in town or freeway. I too haul an atv around. I usually get 10.9-11.9 with the occasional 12.5 if I run chevron fuel. I have been to the dealer numerous times with the same answer. "it's the lift kit,it's the tires,blah blah blah." Kinda tired of hearing it. Had a lot of rigs with lifts before this one and NEVER lost over half my mileage. I asked a tech to ask an engineer if he'd ever seen their torture test. Was told that was for demonstration purposses only. Yeah,whatever dude. So I found a tech thats giving the engineers hell. I have to drop it off AGAIN this week for them to put stock tires on it and see if that helps. Newsflash ford...did it already...NO change. I've read alot of the posts on this topic and have great concern with what is coming out. If my truck has that many issues then they can have it back and give me back my 60k!!!! Oh,did I mention it came with the lift kit? Sorry to rant so hard but I feel the same frustration as you do here. Ford needs to step up and deal with this issue. Another post on here said something about a handful of these make not a recall or something of that nature. I dissagree. Anything more than 1 is worthy of looking into. I'v been having tranny problems,usb problems,mileage and driveability problems. The other day I started it put it in "D" for drive and it would'nt shift out of 1st. Had to find a turnout down the road,turn it off and restart it. Worked fine after that other than the shutter between 3rd and 4th gear on upshift. But theres nothing wrong with my truck. Oh,had the elecric seat switch changed today,it went bad. 10600 miles and this pos is already coming apart. I chased a guy down over on the coast who had the identical truck only a short box and asked him is story. He said 8500 miles,6" lift and 35's and gets 17.5 on freeway and around 16 in town and had a spotless tailpipe. Hmm,,,makes me wonder. Thursday it gets a sniff test. Maybe that'll show something. This pipe is sooted and oilier than my diesel EVER was. I'm about ready to give it back and go back to diesel. Sorry to unload on my first post. I come from a diesel forum and things there can get pretty heated. Good luck with you're rig and keep us posted please.

#14 amascio

amascio

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationHumble
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F150 FX4 Ecoboost

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:21 PM

All this seems strange to me; my FX4 EB has been terrific!

vegasrjr: if I had your drive (flat land, few lights and only 55mph), my truck would easily get 20-21 mpg.

I live in Houston however, and while it is a flat land city we have bridges and overpasses galore. Those things are the same as a small climb in the desert I would think. Also, Houston is a fast driving town; every time I look down, I'm driving 80mph and have to reign the truck in.

After I performed my first oil change at 2900 miles, I reset trip odometer #2 and have yet to reset it., only reset trip odo #1 at fill ups. At just shy of 6000 miles my average mpg on #2 is 17.5.

I either use 87 or 89 octane fuel depending on price at the time of purchase, and quite frankly, I am beginning to think that the 89 is a waste of $$$$. This last tank, I decided to party it up a bit and drove the living daylights out of the thing: punched it a lot, hit over 90 several times, she even tried to get sideways on me while doing a U turn.Try as as hard as I could, the best I could lower the mpg to was 15.1 Even then, finishing off the last quarter tank, driving sanely because traffic was pretty heavy, the mpg popped right back up to 16.9. And naturally, all this is with the A/C on 24/7.

My wite has a EB Platinum. We took that truck from Houston to Bisbee, Arizona using 89 octane fuel. We saw fuel mileage from as low as 14.9 to as high as 19.7 through the trip. It is an 80 mph speed limit from Kerrville to El Paso and we did every bit of that (and more). The truck endured steep winding grades and cross winds for most of the trip. At the end of the trip, on the last fill up I hand calculated the mpg for the whole thing and it was 17.5 on the button.

Both of these trucks are 4X4s, hers has the 3:55 gear and mine has the 3:73. Both of them have to weigh at least 5500 lbs (or more) and have the aerodynamics of a small house.

As far as this business of whether or not this V6 has the balls to handle these trucks, consider this: on the trip to Bisbee, we filled up in Kerrville, Texas and this is where the 80mph speed limit kicks in and the grades start coming into play. After filling up and getting on the Interstate 10, the transmission shifted 6 times getting into top gear and never downshifted until we slowed down to buy gas in Fort Stockton, TX. Not one downshift for over 250 miles of grades, wind and heat. Not one. I made sure to check for that! The fact of the matter is, at least at our house, this little V6 whips these trucks around like rag dolls!

The '09 Platinum we traded in on her new EB Platinum had the 5.4 engine with the 6 speed transmission and 3:55 gears and it was in continuous downshift mode trying to stay at 80 mph over this hill and dale drive. Round trip mileage for that truck was always in the 15-16 mpg range and that was it.

The only reason I am bringing this up is that for all the bad news this thread has in it one would think that the EB engine was no good at all. We are very pleased with ours, and hers has around 15k miles on it now so if there was going to be any early teething problems we should be past that (hopefully). Neither truck has had to back to the dealer.

Cheers and good luck all!

#15 Ramblin Man

Ramblin Man

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationPapillion Nebraska
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Ford F-150 Ecoboost

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:39 PM

vegasrjr: if I had your drive (flat land, few lights and only 55mph), my truck would easily get 20-21 mpg.

I live in Houston however, and while it is a flat land city we have bridges and overpasses galore. Those things are the same as a small climb in the desert I would think. Also, Houston is a fast driving town; every time I look down, I'm driving 80mph and have to reign the truck in.

After I performed my first oil change at 2900 miles, I reset trip odometer #2 and have yet to reset it., only reset trip odo #1 at fill ups. At just shy of 6000 miles my average mpg on #2 is 17.5.

I either use 87 or 89 octane fuel depending on price at the time of purchase, and quite frankly, I am beginning to think that the 89 is a waste of $$$$. This last tank, I decided to party it up a bit and drove the living daylights out of the thing: punched it a lot, hit over 90 several times, she even tried to get sideways on me while doing a U turn.Try as as hard as I could, the best I could lower the mpg to was 15.1 Even then, finishing off the last quarter tank, driving sanely because traffic was pretty heavy, the mpg popped right back up to 16.9. And naturally, all this is with the A/C on 24/7.

My wite has a EB Platinum. We took that truck from Houston to Bisbee, Arizona using 89 octane fuel. We saw fuel mileage from as low as 14.9 to as high as 19.7 through the trip. It is an 80 mph speed limit from Kerrville to El Paso and we did every bit of that (and more). The truck endured steep winding grades and cross winds for most of the trip. At the end of the trip, on the last fill up I hand calculated the mpg for the whole thing and it was 17.5 on the button.

Both of these trucks are 4X4s, hers has the 3:55 gear and mine has the 3:73. Both of them have to weigh at least 5500 lbs (or more) and have the aerodynamics of a small house.

As far as this business of whether or not this V6 has the balls to handle these trucks, consider this: on the trip to Bisbee, we filled up in Kerrville, Texas and this is where the 80mph speed limit kicks in and the grades start coming into play. After filling up and getting on the Interstate 10, the transmission shifted 6 times getting into top gear and never downshifted until we slowed down to buy gas in Fort Stockton, TX. Not one downshift for over 250 miles of grades, wind and heat. Not one. I made sure to check for that! The fact of the matter is, at least at our house, this little V6 whips these trucks around like rag dolls!

The '09 Platinum we traded in on her new EB Platinum had the 5.4 engine with the 6 speed transmission and 3:55 gears and it was in continuous downshift mode trying to stay at 80 mph over this hill and dale drive. Round trip mileage for that truck was always in the 15-16 mpg range and that was it.

The only reason I am bringing this up is that for all the bad news this thread has in it one would think that the EB engine was no good at all. We are very pleased with ours, and hers has around 15k miles on it now so if there was going to be any early teething problems we should be past that (hopefully). Neither truck has had to back to the dealer.

#16 Ramblin Man

Ramblin Man

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationPapillion Nebraska
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Ford F-150 Ecoboost

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:08 PM

I have to agree with Amascio here. I have Supercrew EB 3.73 gears and 3400 miles. I live in the rolling hills of Nebraska and just took a trip to Rupert, Idaho visiting my in-laws. Leaving Nebraska I only had 350 miles on the truck. Hit interstate 80 and set the cruise at around 73MPH. Averaged 17.5 the first 100 miles of interstate driving at this speed. Coming into Sydney Ne. (still in rolling hills) I was getting 19.4. I guess this was due to the engine breaking in and getting used to cruise. The second day with the cruise still at 73 I left Sydney and started up the East slope of the Rockies. West of Cheyenne I encountered the long 6% grade that you encounter just east of Laramie. I have taken this route many times in my 2007 Silverado 5.3 liter and my wife 350 cu.in Suburban and both time they downshifted from 4th gear to 3rd and struggled to stay above 60 on the climb. I turned the radio down to listen to see what my Eco would do and watched the tach. As I got into the heavy climb at just the moment where my other trucks downshifted. I heard the twins (turbos) start to sing with a quiet humm. The tach stayed at 2,000 rpm's the speed stayed at 73 and the truck never thought about a downshift. Can this little 6 cylinder handle this truck. You bet it can. Reviewing my milage at this point with the grades, the wind and the speed I was at 19.2 mpg. As I flattened out in the high desert mountains at one point I looked down and was averaging 22.5 MPG. I have heard that high altitude gives you 1-2 MPG more I guess its the lighter air thru the turbo's. I believe this because coming back home I was making 21mpg and then when I got by Sydney again it dropped to 19.8. With all this said I had set my #2 trip meter when I backed out of my driveway and looked at it when I returned home about 1900 miles later and it said 19.4 mph for the trip which was mostly highway with quite a bit of around town driving also. I am sorry to hear some of you on the forum are not having good luck with your trucks and hope you work it out. I stayed away from Ford's for a while after purchasing an Aerostar van many years ago that was a lemon so I know how you feel. Keep on the dealers and don't let them off the hook. Hope things get better for you. As for me and my wife shortly after getting back on our trip we took our 31 foot travel trailer camping for the first time with our EB. This truck handles our trailer much much better than my 5.3 lite Silverado did. No comparison. We love our EB and it runs like a top. I am completley satisified with the ride, the milage, and the horsepower. See you out there on the interstate.

#17 Boosted Pickle

Boosted Pickle

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationManitoba
  • Current Vehicle:2000 Taurus, 2011 EcoBoost XTR F150

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:20 AM

Looks like I could've written half these posts too...though I haven't had any serious issues with my truck yet (X fingers) - I do have that miss on start up where it sounds like it's sputtering - then the next day (or when I take it in) it doesn't do it at all. My 1-2 shifts are a little strange, but you only really notice it when pulling a trailer. Then it feels like it's slipping...but after that, 2-3 and up shift normal, and it pulls the camper like a champ.

As for mpg - I was getting 23-24 Imp mpg (19-20 US mpg) at 75 mph/120 kmh from Banff to Calgary and also from Banff to Jasper and back. Seems these things do better in the mountains than on flat land (I live in Manitoba), where I have seen as good as 21-22 (18ish US) at 62 mph on the highway. But as someone else said, wind REALLY affects how this thing does on fuel. Normal average for daily use is around 14 where the old '08 would hit a high average of 18+ in summer (winter should be brutal with this thing). Using this one the same way, it doesn't seem close yet...but it's still young. Pulling the camper, also no better than the '08 (not including power - 'cause holy shnoikies this pulls so much better)...which I can't say I expected it would be, at least not much, but kind of hoped for since I'm towing in 6th gear 90% or more of the time, instead of in 3rd all the time like the '08...you'd think bringing the revs down would help, but you'd be wrong. Mostly around 8-10 mpg (which really sucks if you look at it from a US gallon point of view - 6.5-8 US mpg with trailer), but, it was still cheaper than taking the car, or even the truck, and staying in hotels every night for 2 weeks of our vacation.

Edited by Boosted Pickle, 17 August 2011 - 05:24 AM.

#18 rcmcmullen

rcmcmullen

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationAZ
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F-150 EB SC 4x4

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:40 AM

For the record I live in the same place as vegasrjr and the roads and highways here are not flat, they are the same as you describe in Houston...rolling hills and overpasses. My overall fuel economy ranges between 18 -19 mpg around town (surface and highway combined). As far as towing is concerned I cannot give 100% accurate figures because I did not reset my trip odometer on my first trip, but my average mpg dipped from ~18.9 down to 16.9 pulling my 4k lb trailer up sometimes steep and winding mountain grade highways and forrest roads. On my second trip I averaged 11.2 mpg on the same trip when resetting my trip odometer. I too notice a HUGE difference pulling my trailer on a calm vs windy day. My second trip was on a windy day both here in the valley as well as up North. My first trip was just the opposite. I did not encounter much wind up North, but it was VERY windy here. Prior to entering the valley I was getting almost 18 mpg pulling the trailer! Once I hit the wind it dropped like a rock to ~15.9 (overall). I too love this truck, it has done everything I asked and done it well!

I agree that those of you whom are having these issues need to keep at it with the dealerships. There has GOT to be some common thread to these issues and the more we get them reported the more data Ford has to analyze to find and fix the problem!!!
Toy Hauler
2011 XLT SuperCrew (KC on 5/6/11)
  • Race Red/Ingot Silver Two-Tone
  • 6.5 bed
  • EcoBoost
  • Max Trailer Tow
  • Off-Road
  • E-LOC RR
  • P275/65R18
Toys
  • 2010 Polaris Rzr 4
  • 2008 Polaris Trail Blaser 330
  • 2008 Polaris Trail Boss 330

#19 vegasrjr

vegasrjr

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:53 AM

I took delivery of my new F150/EB/Scab/4x4/3:73 in mid April. Since that time I've experienced basically the same MPG. My truck has been into the dealership a total of 4 times now for this, along with other issues. I'm the kind of person who won't accept "We can't find anything" as a valid answer. I had 3 typed pages of issues the last time it was in, some repeats that had never been "fixed".....the point being, I won't let it go. I paid big bucks for this truck, and if it's not "right" they are gona make it that way.

The last time in the shop, after 3 days, the dealership turned to FoMoCo for input. After another 3 days of waiting, FoMoCo told the dealership to "reflash" the truck. Now, here's the interesting part.....since my truck was produced in mid Feb, FoMoCo has release two entirely new versions on software for the PCM and TCM. The Service Manager told me that while updates are fairly common, auto makers don't often issue complete software revisions during a production run, unless there is a good reason. My truck was updated to the most recent version of software, and all of the electrical issues I was having vanished. Concerning the MPG.....the most encouraging them I noticed....when I went to fill up the truck after picking it up from the dealership..... previously the most I had ever seen on the "Miles to E" was 357. This time it went to 411 miles! Since the reflash, I have managed to get to 19mpg on the highway, which is a far cry better than it's previous best of 16.

I think the important thing here is to not give up, and keep taking it back to the dealership until you get satisfaction. Another important point is that by taking issues to the dealership, they generally open a RO (Repair Order). This is how FoMoCo tracks/discovers trends/issues with specific vehicles, and (Hopefully) issues fixes for those trends/issue.

My dealership has been wonderful. After the truck was in for the third time in three months, the General Sales Manager pulled me aside, and told me that if they could not get the issues with my truck corrected, he was willing to get me a new truck! Can't ask for more than that.

Good for you, sounds like you have a great dealer up there...My dealership's service manager played the old " no TSB card " with me..

#20 vegasrjr

vegasrjr

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:05 AM

Interesting that you say it dumps fuel..Check your tailpipe and see if it is filled with a heavy black soot, like a diesel would have..I have allot of experience with gas and diesels and I know that a gas engine with a dirty tailpipe means oil use ( which I don't have ) or rich fuel mixture..Don't install anything on your vehicle as Ford is itching to void warranties..Mind all, I like Ford the best but I got burned by an 04 - 6.0 diesel and now it looks like the Eco is heading down the same path...I demoed the 6.7 diesel and it was great, but being a new model engine the old 6.0 jitters got the best of me..

Edited by vegasrjr, 10 September 2011 - 10:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users