Ford F150 EcoBoost Owners Welcomes You!

Custom Search

Advertise here and reach the F150 Ecoboost community. Click here to find out more.

Ford F150 EcoBoost Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Ford F150 EcoBoost Forum welcomes you to our community! Like most online communities, you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By becoming a member, you'll enjoy these benefits and more:

Receive special discount offers on apparel, parts and merchandise!
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Post your photos to the gallery
• View fewer ads. . .more

Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

F150 EcoBoost Apparel

F150 EcoBoost Hat

F150 EcoBoost Key Chain

F150 EcoBoost Shirt

F150 EB Exhaust

Shop For More Here

Photo
- - - - -

Better towing economy?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 kzimmer81

kzimmer81

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSD
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F-150 Supercrew

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:27 PM

So far, I've been very happy with the performance and economy of my Ecoboost (Supercrew XLT 157" 3.55 Lim. Slip). In the roughly 5,000 miles that I've put on it I get around 16 mpg in town and 18-23 mpg highway. My first real disappointment came this last weekend when I pulled my camper (second camper trip, first paying attn. to economy). Pulling a 2,500 lb. travel trailer about 400 miles with little wind to speak of, I only managed 7.5 mpg. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this horrible reduction in economy when towing. I don't pull often, but when I do it's usually quite a long haul and this certainly scares me.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 Christin

Christin

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSudbury, Ontario, Canada
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F-150 Ecoboost Supercrew XTR

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:37 PM

So far, I've been very happy with the performance and economy of my Ecoboost (Supercrew XLT 157" 3.55 Lim. Slip). In the roughly 5,000 miles that I've put on it I get around 16 mpg in town and 18-23 mpg highway. My first real disappointment came this last weekend when I pulled my camper (second camper trip, first paying attn. to economy). Pulling a 2,500 lb. travel trailer about 400 miles with little wind to speak of, I only managed 7.5 mpg. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this horrible reduction in economy when towing. I don't pull often, but when I do it's usually quite a long haul and this certainly scares me.

Im getting 10-11mpg US numbers when towing 26foot camper fully loaded rougly 6500-7000lbs. My truck has max tow Supercrew 4x4 3.73 rear end. Your mileage should improve as you put the miles on.

#3 rcmcmullen

rcmcmullen

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationAZ
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F-150 EB SC 4x4

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:56 PM

I've got a little over 3k miles on mine and last weekend I took a short trip up to Prescott (from Phoenix) which is ~75 miles (round trip) pulling my Polaris Rzr on my trailer which is ~4k lbs. There's about a 6k ft elevation change between my home and my destination in Prescott. Around 10 miles of that trip was off-road on Forest Roads with sometimes steep mountain grades and rugged terrain averaging 10 - 20 mph. I averaged 11 mpg which I really don't consider bad all things considered. When not pulling the trailer I'm averaging 18 - 19 mpg combined city and highway.

Edited by rcmcmullen, 10 August 2011 - 03:57 PM.

Toy Hauler
2011 XLT SuperCrew (KC on 5/6/11)
  • Race Red/Ingot Silver Two-Tone
  • 6.5 bed
  • EcoBoost
  • Max Trailer Tow
  • Off-Road
  • E-LOC RR
  • P275/65R18
Toys
  • 2010 Polaris Rzr 4
  • 2008 Polaris Trail Blaser 330
  • 2008 Polaris Trail Boss 330

#4 SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Ford F150 EcoBoost

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:46 PM

I've got a little over 3k miles on mine and last weekend I took a short trip up to Prescott (from Phoenix) which is ~75 miles (round trip) pulling my Polaris Rzr on my trailer which is ~4k lbs. There's about a 6k ft elevation change between my home and my destination in Prescott. Around 10 miles of that trip was off-road on Forest Roads with sometimes steep mountain grades and rugged terrain averaging 10 - 20 mph. I averaged 11 mpg which I really don't consider bad all things considered. When not pulling the trailer I'm averaging 18 - 19 mpg combined city and highway.

#5 SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Ford F150 EcoBoost

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:52 PM

I also have a little over 3k on my truck and just got back from a trip to Colorado. 200+ miles one way with the last 7 being on a old Fire road. I was getting 8 mpg heading north on I-25 and putting my foot into it and getting 11 mpg when staying at 65-70 mph. Very happy with the fact that when I needed to pass 1 or several cars, I could and with ease.

#6 EcoboostKev

EcoboostKev

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationConnecticut
  • Current Vehicle:2011 SuperCrew FX4 Ecoboost

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:15 PM

I just returned home from our first trip with the new truck pulling our 6000lbs camper 150mi each way and im very impressed! I just have over 2000 miles on her and was able to average 12.4 mpg with the cruise set at 60-65mph. Im never in a race to get anywhere fast but it sure is nice know that when i need the power to climb a hill with ease or pass a sluggish Chevy 1/2 ton i can !!!!!!! :happy feet:
2011 FX4 SuperCrew Ecoboost
Ingot silver
FX Luxury pkg with 20" wheels
Max tow pkg
373 gears
6.5 ft bed
Posted Image

#7 Ramblin Man

Ramblin Man

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationPapillion Nebraska
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Ford F-150 Ecoboost

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:30 PM

I have 3.73 Max trailer package and got 10 mpg on 100 mile trip on 2 land road. The route has a couple of hills about 1/2 mile long so steep they have truck lanes for slow vehicles. At the base of the hill I was doing speed limit of 60 mph and saw cars in my R.V. mirrors about 100 yards behind me. As I approached the top of the hill and the truck lane ended I was still doing 60mph I looked in my mirrors and the same cars were the same distance behind me. As I went back into single lane without delaying or slowing any of them. What power. I love my truck. My trailer is 33 feet and is around 7,000 pounds the truck hadly knows its there. I figure on a interstate when I am able to cruise I should get around 12-13 MPG. I am happy as a peach. 4,400 miles by the way.

http://fordf150ecobo...lma-and-louise/[/img]

Edited by Ramblin Man, 02 October 2011 - 04:32 PM.

#8 davegonfishn

davegonfishn

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCameron Park, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F150XLT 4X4 Supercab Ecoboost

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:26 PM

I have a 4X4 3.73 Max Tow Package. My trailer weighs about 5500 lbs. I left Sacramento (1000msl), over the Sierra Nevada Mountains, and ended up near Mono Lake (7000msl). This leg is mostly 2 lanes with some curves, and a fair amount of climbing. Truck tows great, and I averaged 10.5mpg on this leg. On the reverse trip, I got 17mpg.
2011 4X4 SuperCab XLT EcoBoost.
6.5' box, Max Tow package, Off Road Package, 3.73 ELD.
SnugTop XTRA Canopy

#9 NorCal Hal

NorCal Hal

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F-150 Ecoboost XLT 4X4 S-crew 5.5 bed, spray in bed liner, electric stepboards, front & rear flaps, rear underbumper fold down step, under seat storage, Sylvania Silverstar headlamps, rubber side molding, underseat gear box, rubber tailgate pad.

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:25 PM

I have found that the BIG factor in mileage, both towing and alone, is SPEED. If I stay at 60 MPH or below I get a lot better mileage than I do at 65 and above. Towing my 5,000# trailer in rolling hills and sharp slow corners I get 10.5-11 MPG.

#10 medik418

medik418

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F-150 Ecoboost

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:25 AM

AS of this writing I have about 2300 miles pulling a 27 ft. Wolf Pack toy hauler and with it loaded for a road trip, it weighs in around 8000 pounds. That said, my last trip from Amarillo, Texas to Taylor Park, Colorado and back averaged 9.9 mpg towing the trailer. I drove over Raton pass, monarch pass, and cottonwood pass with nary a hiccup. The first 140 miles was into a 40 mph headwind and my trailer has the aerodynamics of a brick. While into the wind like that mileage got down to 6.7 mpg at 65 mph. It went up Raton pass at 65 mph both directions with the cruise set (just wanted to see if it would) Usually I tow at 60 with the transmission locked out of 6th gear and it does great. Best mileage for that same trip was 15-16 mpg with a pretty stiff tail wind for about 120 miles. (I know, cheating)

#11 ronzx9

ronzx9

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Super Crew

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

Just returned from a 1300 mile round trip from Ohio to Quebec towing a 24' V-Nose snowmobile trailer. Loaded it weighs about 6500lbs. Trip average 10.0mpg. Drive faster than 65 and watch the average drop. Cruise behind a semi and watch the average climb. Same trailer with my 2004 Diesel got 12mpg at 75mph. All in all very satisfied. The truck rides so much smoother and is so much quieter than the diesel I didn't feel tired after the 11+ hour dirve. The only advantage the diesel has is distance between fuel stops.

#12 john

john

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:2011 EcoBoost F150 Larit

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:14 AM

Any time you tow the gas/fuel mileage goes in the crapper.

#13 Mark S

Mark S

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F150 Lariat Screw Ecoboost 4x4 Off Road

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

Towed my new Work and Play 18 EC toy hauler from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale today. It weighs 5,300 dry and empty. Drove at 65 mph and averaged 8.5 mpg. It doesn't get much flatter and very little wind. My Ford service guy said,"yeah, that's about what they get towing". Had I known this truck, which is touted for it's towing ability, got such bad milage I would have gone with a diesel.

Truck pulled real nice, but I sure did pay for it . 8.5!!!!!

I expected 10-11, but 8.5! I bought this truck to tow the camper across country this summer. At this point I am very disappointed in this truck.

#14 Bubbanewf

Bubbanewf

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTN
  • Current Vehicle:Ford F150 5.4

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

Towed my new Work and Play 18 EC toy hauler from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale today. It weighs 5,300 dry and empty. Drove at 65 mph and averaged 8.5 mpg. It doesn't get much flatter and very little wind. My Ford service guy said,"yeah, that's about what they get towing". Had I known this truck, which is touted for it's towing ability, got such bad milage I would have gone with a diesel.

Truck pulled real nice, but I sure did pay for it . 8.5!!!!!

I expected 10-11, but 8.5! I bought this truck to tow the camper across country this summer. At this point I am very disappointed in this truck.

Dont know why you think the diesel would be so much better? Yes, it hauls more weight and maybe even a couple mpg better, but you pay through the nose per gallon for diesel and the F250 has got to cost you more if you rig it out the same as your F150. I had one and 7400 lbs of truck unloaded does not get great mpg. Let me know if you can ever get diesel cheaper than gas again.

#15 Mark S

Mark S

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F150 Lariat Screw Ecoboost 4x4 Off Road

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:09 AM

Dont know why you think the diesel would be so much better? Yes, it hauls more weight and maybe even a couple mpg better, but you pay through the nose per gallon for diesel and the F250 has got to cost you more if you rig it out the same as your F150. I had one and 7400 lbs of truck unloaded does not get great mpg. Let me know if you can ever get diesel cheaper than gas again.

Yeah, I guess I was just venting. I was in sticker shock yesterday as I got my new toy hauler and am planning about a 7,000 mile trip this summer. Besides the increase in gas prices I am now having to plan on spending about 25% more in gas consumption. Oh well.

Thanks for the reality check. I do really like my truck. Thanks for letting me vent here. Mark

#16 acadianbob

acadianbob

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN
  • Current Vehicle:2012 FX4 Ecoboost

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

Yeah, I guess I was just venting. I was in sticker shock yesterday as I got my new toy hauler and am planning about a 7,000 mile trip this summer. Besides the increase in gas prices I am now having to plan on spending about 25% more in gas consumption. Oh well.

Thanks for the reality check. I do really like my truck. Thanks for letting me vent here. Mark

Try slowing down. Accelerate modestly. Allow it to slow some on the hills. Most people are getting 10 to 11 towing around 5 to 6 thousand pounds. Gotta be driving style.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users