Ford F150 EcoBoost Owners Welcomes You!

Custom Search

Advertise here and reach the F150 Ecoboost community. Click here to find out more.

Ford F150 EcoBoost Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Ford F150 EcoBoost Forum welcomes you to our community! Like most online communities, you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By becoming a member, you'll enjoy these benefits and more:

Receive special discount offers on apparel, parts and merchandise!
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Post your photos to the gallery
• View fewer ads. . .more

Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

F150 EcoBoost Apparel

F150 EcoBoost Hat

F150 EcoBoost Key Chain

F150 EcoBoost Shirt

F150 EB Exhaust

Shop For More Here

Photo

Dual Exhaust

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Birdman

Birdman

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach
  • Current Vehicle:2007 F150 FX4 Super Crew

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

I figured it was time to start some threads since people will start getting their trucks in soon.

So who will be the first to start modifying their Eco Boost. I wonder who will put on dual exhaust, what it will sound like with the six cylinder, how will it affect the turbo's.

Edited by Birdman, 30 January 2011 - 03:49 PM.

Current Rides
2007 F150 FX4 Super Crew
2008 Ford Edge
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 F150 FX4 Super Crew Eco Boost (On Order)

Previous Rides
1989 Ford Ranger
1994 Ford Explorer
1996 Ford Windstar
1999 Ford Mustang
2004 FLSTC
2006 Ford Expedition
2006 FLHX

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 mikesxpress

mikesxpress

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationFredericksburg, VA/Santee, SC
  • Current Vehicle:2011 EcoBoost SuperCab LB XLT 3.73

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:20 PM

I figured it was time to start some threads since people will start getting their trucks in soon.

So who will be the first to start modifying their Eco Boost. I wonder who will put on dual exhaust, what it will sound like with the six cylinder, how will it affect the turbo's.

Best to leave it alone. I had my 99 SD till two weeks ago and it was never chipped/hacked/jacked by Bubb Bad Wrench and his brothers Darell, Darell, or Darell. It never went to the shop for anything but recalls. 179K on it and still ran like the day I brought it home.
Posted Image
Captain Mike (USCG Master 100 GRT)

#3 quickecoboost

quickecoboost

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Locationhouston
  • Current Vehicle:2010 eco boost F150,1999 TRANS AM,2005 GRAND PRIX,2007 JEEP

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:06 PM

i was at a place called fastlaneturbo.com in Houston and watched then produce 120 extra hp at the wheels from a 3.5 ecoboost mks and the turbos kicked in 1500 rpm sooner. the kit only had a custom air intake cat-back exhaust and a custom tune. i was told but the time i get my 3.5 eco truck they will have even better numbers.from what i have seen they have produced the best results out of any of the big tuners in the country. anyway their number is 7130 600 6800 if anyone is interested.just thought i would throw it out there. got to love ford

#4 robertlane

robertlane

• Moderators
  • 209 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI
  • Current Vehicle:Shelby GT500, E350

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:33 PM

i was at a place called fastlaneturbo.com in Houston and watched then produce 120 extra hp at the wheels from a 3.5 ecoboost mks and the turbos kicked in 1500 rpm sooner. the kit only had a custom air intake cat-back exhaust and a custom tune. i was told but the time i get my 3.5 eco truck they will have even better numbers.from what i have seen they have produced the best results out of any of the big tuners in the country. anyway their number is 7130 600 6800 if anyone is interested.just thought i would throw it out there. got to love ford

Thanks for sharing. I've seen people pump some serious power out of the Eco Boost :superhero:

#5 mikesxpress

mikesxpress

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:32 AM

Would be interesting to see the longevity of the engine and truck drivetrain components after someone tweeks it like that? :rip:

Fuel mileage info would also be of interest if it lasts long enough to check it? :doh:
Posted Image

#6 robertlane

robertlane

• Moderators
  • 209 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:26 AM

Would be interesting to see the longevity of the engine and truck drivetrain components after someone tweeks it like that? :rip:

Fuel mileage info would also be of interest if it lasts long enough to check it? :doh:

If these Eco Boosts are as strong as Ford's 5.0L and GT500 engines, I bet they will whale. We're pumping out 900 horsepower here all the time and have yet to experience an engine failure with them (GT500) and 624HP with the 5.0L.

#7 boosted

boosted

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAda Mi
  • Current Vehicle:f1

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:07 AM

Best to leave it alone. I had my 99 SD till two weeks ago and it was never chipped/hacked/jacked by Bubb Bad Wrench and his brothers Darell, Darell, or Darell. It never went to the shop for anything but recalls. 179K on it and still ran like the day I brought it home.

wow 179k thats it? every engine available in the 99 superdutys would go 300k plus with marginal maintenence. my power stroke has 602k on it now bought it with 80k the truck has had several chips, exhausts, intakes, injectors, you name it. the motor has never been out and yes bubba and the darrels have worked on it as well as me so bird man i say dual it up theres a reason ford has the svt program and ford motorsports. if they didnt want yo to mess with it there wouldnt be a billion dollar aftermarket performance parts industry.

#8 mikesxpress

mikesxpress

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:48 AM

wow 179k thats it? every engine available in the 99 superdutys would go 300k plus with marginal maintenence. my power stroke has 602k on it now bought it with 80k the truck has had several chips, exhausts, intakes, injectors, you name it. the motor has never been out and yes bubba and the darrels have worked on it as well as me so bird man i say dual it up theres a reason ford has the svt program and ford motorsports. if they didnt want yo to mess with it there wouldnt be a billion dollar aftermarket performance parts industry.

Yep that's it. It would have went much further if I would have kept it I'm sure. Just couldn't justify the 60 cents a gallon over gas when I can pull 11,200 lbs with an EcoBoost and do it cheaper.

You maybe a little off base with the Ford Motorsports program and why it exists? It's there to sell vehicles. Not to promote modifying them.
I believe that aftermarket is the reason that mechanic's still have lot's of shops to fix stuff the Darrell's hang on there. :hysterical:
Sometimes the folks buying that stuff think it is making the vehicle perform better. And in some cases it may do that, for awhile. What ever you change, you sacrifice something else.

Ford engineers design the truck and it's components to handle the engine configurations that are offered and tow/haul the loads stated. And that includes sufficient reserve in those components to withstand the HP and torque generated with those loads. As a mechanical engineer dealing with both tactical and non-tactical military equipment I see examples of what not to do everyday.

I really like these!!!
Let's address the dual exhaust issue.
Wanna change the stock system to duals? Bigger pipes? Louder sound? Yep you can do that and expect the following:
The exhaust will not be able to scavenge properly, which will cause you to lose power and efficiency. Back pressure that does not meet the design requirements for the engine is going to reduce your torque and low end powerband will suffer. But it sound COOL! :drool:

I have a 1970 AMX that I have had since I was 18. Being a little older and having a few more dollars to spend, I put it through a fame off restore and loaded a 429 CobraJet into it along with a 3:71 W. Yes it has headers and duals. For a reason. The CID of that CJ with 11.3:1 compression needs to flow exhaust out as fast as it can while it draws as much air/fuel to match. Not true with the newer vehicles and cats.
Posted Image
*The little kids zipper cars with big mufflers wet themselves once I cut the belt on.

H pipes or X pipes are on most V6 & V8's and you don't want to remove them. Systems without cross-over pipes can build up enough back pressure to inhibit flow and reduce horsepower. These cross overs do not actually carry much exhaust gas. They are designed to give pressure pulses inside the system a place to go to keep them from inhibiting flow.

So, you dual out from the cat back and you get what?
Posted Image

#9 BS Racing

BS Racing

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationWettern Washington
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F150 Platinum 3.5L EcoBoost

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:12 AM

Ok seeing as we are comparing apples to oranges. when I picked up my 99 F150 5.4L my Ford Service writer told me to get an intake, exhaust, and chip in it ASAP. That is the truck I will be trading in when I get mine.
2011 F150 Platinum DD
99 F150 Lariat 4X4 S Cab SOLD
99 F150 Lightning My DD Traded in
03 Mustang Cobra Wife's car
06 Escape Hybrid Wife's DD
07 FXDSE summer DD/toy
77 Mustang II 2+2 302 with T Tops for sale

#10 danb

danb

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ont. Canada
  • Current Vehicle:2011 FX4 Ecoboost, 2009 Taurus X

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:57 PM

is there anywhere in Canada to get my f150 ecoboost tuned?? and is there any one that has any upgrades for the 2011 yet?????

#11 Dean M

Dean M

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSarasota, FL
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Ecoboost FX4 3.73 e locker

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:21 AM

I understand there will always be those panic merchants who wouldn't ever do anything to their trucks but put stock parts on them and tell everyone like me I am crazy to put aftermarket parts on them, but as far as I'm concerned, if it's stock it is boring! I need to mess with it once I own it.

Every truck I have owned runs better after putting customs parts on them and messing with them. My F250 2008 I have now gets 4-5MPG better than stock and twice as much HP due to just a few simple mods. Once it is sold I will be buying my ecoboost and all going to plan I will have the new exhaust, Intake, programmer, wheels and tires and who knows what else. I'm really looking forward to the build though.

#12 robertlane

robertlane

• Moderators
  • 209 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:15 PM

I own a 2008 Shelby GT500KR (#10) - also work at Shelby - and I've dropped the engine 1", replaced the cooling system, holding tanks, changed the K-member, control arms, added suspension items, upgraded the horsepower to 750 and and now adding a Super Snake hood.

Next, I am changing the four cams and adding headers.

People say that I've destroyed the car - but it's how I want it to be and act. Besides, the parts are "bolt-on," so they can be replaced at a later time anytime.

The bottom line is that the KR now performs better because its potential has been tapped. ;)

#13 ecoboost666

ecoboost666

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:2011 FX4 EcoBoost

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:05 AM

I would not let Fastlane touch any of my vehicles... saw them custom tune a 6.1 challenger (stock) and broke 6 of the 8 pistons.... so no thank you. =)

That is all.

#14 hsfbfan

hsfbfan

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Locationtexas
  • Current Vehicle:2006 F150 Screw

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:16 AM

hope you don't need that warranty after you put a programmer on that Ecoboost.

#15 kurtsbusa

kurtsbusa

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationDetroit,Mi
  • Current Vehicle:2011 FX4 screw ecoboost

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:42 PM

is there anywhere in Canada to get my f150 ecoboost tuned?? and is there any one that has any upgrades for the 2011 yet?????

can come to the states and go to Livernois motorsports would only be around a 3 hour drive from London or less I can get to Hamilton in 3.5 hours

#16 ecoboost666

ecoboost666

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:2011 FX4 EcoBoost

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:01 PM

hope you don't need that warranty after you put a programmer on that Ecoboost.

I agree 100%..... I will not be doing any tuning on this truck since the warranty is a big factor for me. Maybe others have enough money to not care about free repairs on a brand new engine. =)

#17 boost_induced_fit

boost_induced_fit

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Locationbetween the ditches
  • Current Vehicle:needs improvement (modification)

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:05 PM

Yep that's it. It would have went much further if I would have kept it I'm sure. Just couldn't justify the 60 cents a gallon over gas when I can pull 11,200 lbs with an EcoBoost and do it cheaper.

You maybe a little off base with the Ford Motorsports program and why it exists? It's there to sell vehicles. Not to promote modifying them.
I believe that aftermarket is the reason that mechanic's still have lot's of shops to fix stuff the Darrell's hang on there. :hysterical:
Sometimes the folks buying that stuff think it is making the vehicle perform better. And in some cases it may do that, for awhile. What ever you change, you sacrifice something else.

Ford engineers design the truck and it's components to handle the engine configurations that are offered and tow/haul the loads stated. And that includes sufficient reserve in those components to withstand the HP and torque generated with those loads. As a mechanical engineer dealing with both tactical and non-tactical military equipment I see examples of what not to do everyday.

I really like these!!!
Let's address the dual exhaust issue.
Wanna change the stock system to duals? Bigger pipes? Louder sound? Yep you can do that and expect the following:
The exhaust will not be able to scavenge properly, which will cause you to lose power and efficiency. Back pressure that does not meet the design requirements for the engine is going to reduce your torque and low end powerband will suffer. But it sound COOL! :drool:

I have a 1970 AMX that I have had since I was 18. Being a little older and having a few more dollars to spend, I put it through a fame off restore and loaded a 429 CobraJet into it along with a 3:71 W. Yes it has headers and duals. For a reason. The CID of that CJ with 11.3:1 compression needs to flow exhaust out as fast as it can while it draws as much air/fuel to match. Not true with the newer vehicles and cats.
Posted Image
*The little kids zipper cars with big mufflers wet themselves once I cut the belt on.

H pipes or X pipes are on most V6 & V8's and you don't want to remove them. Systems without cross-over pipes can build up enough back pressure to inhibit flow and reduce horsepower. These cross overs do not actually carry much exhaust gas. They are designed to give pressure pulses inside the system a place to go to keep them from inhibiting flow.

So, you dual out from the cat back and you get what?

Motorsports is not about selling cars, what do you think they do with engines they design, they MODIFY exisiting configurations= more power. (89.76 % of budget is R&D)
There is no scavenging, the exhaust is being forced out because its under pressure. There is no gravity or vacuum effect removing exhaust from combustion section.
Backpressure is the main component of a two-stroke engine to be more efficient during the stroke. There is no beneficial affect from having backpressure.
EPA sets guidelines on exhaust operation of a vehicle. Harmful particulates released into the atmosphere is what they care about. They do not govern intake. (Why would they care how much air is allowed to get in the engine)
I agree you are comparing apples and oranges
I have had many turboed cars mostly Lancer Evolutions (5) all of which produced insane amounts of power, 2.0 liter 4 cyl. The last had 460 AWHP on stock turbo with a massive intercooler, alcohol injection, 3.5 inch exhaust with cat delete, running 29 psi of boost with a highly aggressive tune. 80,000 miles of brutal torture and only broke a fan belt.
I would not be affraid of your "drive it on a sunny day from the house to the gas station and back" hot rod that Im sure would not go 80,000 plus mile without having a major meltdown. Run low 11's at 135+ MPH and drive it rain, sleet, shine, and snow hauling kids and groceries, in between all that, drop the clutch on an all-wheel drive car and drive it like you stole it from red light to red light. I have also had several supercharged Mustangs, none of which could withstand my assault. (all major failures) Understand Im not really a Ford guy anymore. I like power and the F150 ecoboost offered versatility that I now need. I am very imppressed with the engine and would suggest it to anyone over the rest.
So from a cat back, your right it might not be much, however from turbo back you should see significant gains in HP

#18 SavageMind

SavageMind

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:11' F-150 XLT 4X4

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:42 AM

I would like to get a little more out of my truck.. I just don't see throwing a 6yr, 72000mi bumber to bumper warranty in the trashcan. maybe later when mods are a little more perfected.

#19 Beaner

Beaner

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F-150 Lariat 3.5L V6 w/NAV

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:40 PM

I would like to get a little more out of my truck.. I just don't see throwing a 6yr, 72000mi bumber to bumper warranty in the trashcan. maybe later when mods are a little more perfected.

A wise decision!

Bean

#20 Ttrot

Ttrot

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNorth Bay
  • Current Vehicle:2011 XLT S-crew 4x4 - Sportin its Tux

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:41 PM

Wow there is some mis-information in here. OEM's design exhausts with noise and environmental concerns in mind, while trying to maintain as much performance within those guidelines, and keeping costs in check. Aftermarket products are able to do without those restrictions by selling products as a "buyers beware" for emissions/noise, while sometimes giving a performance advantage - no, I do not believe putting a cherry bomb on a honda will make it faster. Now, as far as a turbocharged engine goes, turbos are driven by exhaust flow and heat expansion across the turbine wheel. Flow is achieved by a pressure differential - pressure in the manifold escaping the exhaust valves pushes on the turbine, which poses a restriction, and flows through the exducer into the low-pressure exhaust. The less restriction there is after the turbine, the more quickly and efficiently (read: spool) the exhaust is able to drive the turbo, and the lower the absolute exhaust manifold pressure will be, thus increasing volumetric efficiency (read: power). So the question is, how much of a restriction does the stock exhaust pose? You'd have to put a pressure gauge on there under load to see if the exhaust pressure between the turbine and cats//mufflers is great enough to justify replacing the exhaust with a higher-flowing aftermarket one - I hope to do this soon, getting my truck on Wednesday :shift: Now, when you reduce exhaust restriction, you can end up increasing intake manifold pressure due to the wastegates being unable to keep up, and how the engine will deal with an increase in boost is unknown to me (injectors, fuel pump, pre-ignition, what will be first?).

Also, the argument about the engine needing exhaust backpressure (which I'm not even going to touch) is null because unlike Naturally Apirated or supercharged engines, backpressure will always exist between the turbo and cylinder head, generally at the same pressure or greater than Intake manifold pressure. With how small the turbine and exhaust housings are on the Ecoboosts (necessary to increase response) EMAP is probably a LOT greater than intake manifold pressure under boost, and de-restricting the exhaust after it will help substantially. All these same arguments also apply for de-restricting the intake (if it does indeed pose a restriction...)

Side note: Please be cautious with tuners when they do come out, the margin for error in messing with timing and boost is much lower on a high-compression DI turbo gasoline engine like this than it is for naturally aspirated gas engines or turbo diesels respectively.

Talk about warranty/engine reliability doesn't belong in a thread about performance modifications, people are smart enough to make their own decisions. Only my 2nd Post, and I should have pissed off enough people by now! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users