Ford F150 EcoBoost Owners Welcomes You!

Custom Search

Advertise here and reach the F150 Ecoboost community. Click here to find out more.

Ford F150 EcoBoost Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Ford F150 EcoBoost Forum welcomes you to our community! Like most online communities, you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By becoming a member, you'll enjoy these benefits and more:

Receive special discount offers on apparel, parts and merchandise!
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Post your photos to the gallery
• View fewer ads. . .more

Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

F150 EcoBoost Apparel

F150 EcoBoost Hat

F150 EcoBoost Key Chain

F150 EcoBoost Shirt

F150 EB Exhaust

Shop For More Here

Photo
- - - - -

New TSB on fuel mileage

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 altaforddealer

altaforddealer

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F150 Lariat Crew 4x4 157"

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:40 PM

I had my truck in due to the high fuel consumption I have been experiencing as well as a very sooty exaust pipe. According to my dealer and I didn't grab an actual number he has informed me that running rich is going to be the norm for the first 15000 KM or 9500 miles, that's over half a years driving for me I guess I better get busy I'd like to start getting the mileage everyone else seems to be getting.

Has anyone else heard of this or is it just another line of B.S.!!?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 ecoboost666

ecoboost666

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:2011 FX4 EcoBoost

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

sounds a little strange to me... whats the point of it running rich for the first 9.5k miles? Did they elaborate on why they do this?

I'm not getting bad mileage when I drive normal and I'm at around 6k miles. So I'm not sure that I believe that explanation by the dealer.

#3 taperk600

taperk600

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationLG, NY
  • Current Vehicle:Arctic Cat 720 SnoPro

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:52 PM

I think it's a line myself, personally since my truck has over 11K on it and still has the sooty tailpipe. And I've stopped worrying about the mileage.....it just isn't getting what Ford claimed, but I still love the truck ! Some days are better than others as far as MPGs go...... but usually right around 15 city and high 18s highway. Besides, in another 14-16 mos, I'll trade it in anyway.......
2011 Super Crew Lariat EcoBoost in Sterling Grey over black leather. Heated & Cooled Buckets.
6.5 ft box, Max Tow pakage, Off Road Package, 3.73 gears with electric locking rear differential.
Harley Davidson tinted head lights and tail lights. Undercover hard tonneau. Line-X spray-in. More to come.

1999 Chaparral Sunesta 233LE; 5.7 efi Merc/ Bravo 3 outdrive
Scuba yr 'round
Arctic Cats......
2011 600 SnoPro Cross Country
2010 500 SnoPro / D&D 720
2010 SnoPro 500

#4 altaforddealer

altaforddealer

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F150 Lariat Crew 4x4 157"

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:06 AM

I think it's a line myself, personally since my truck has over 11K on it and still has the sooty tailpipe. And I've stopped worrying about the mileage.....it just isn't getting what Ford claimed, but I still love the truck ! Some days are better than others as far as MPGs go...... but usually right around 15 city and high 18s highway. Besides, in another 14-16 mos, I'll trade it in anyway.......

I agree I love this truck but I am still getting around 15 mpg at 70 mph and I am now at 5000 miles. I am thrilled with every other aspect of this truck, it looks great, has phenominal power, and is so comfortable to drive for long distances. I am going to try running full premium again to see if it helps out I have had mixed results with it before as I suspect that it sells much less frequently and is somewhat "stale" before it gets into my tank!!

#5 jaxtpr

jaxtpr

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Ford F150

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:31 PM

Just to throw this out there, but the readings on the instrument cluster can be set to instant mpg's or you can set it to average your mileage every 5 minutes. I usually keep it on the 5 minute deal and wait until I get on a flat stretch of road and hit the reset button. It will increase your mpg's depending on your driving habits. A couple of weeks ago I traveled to Athens Ga. from Jacksonville Fl. and then thirty miles back to Madison Ga. on 3/4 of a tank of gas traveling at 75 mph on the interstate. Take into consideration that there was about 70-80 miles on 2 lane roads. When I stopped to fill back up I had 411 miles. On the way back, I got 461 miles on my 26 gallon tank. I was seeing how far I could comfortably go before filling back up, and needless to say I was running on fumes. I have a buddy with an EcoBoost engine and the best he's got on a tank of gas is 486 with a 26 gallon tank. Bottom line is we all like to get on that impressive gas peddle, but we suffer the consequences at the gas pump and our mpg's..

#6 Fred Grey

Fred Grey

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Fl
  • Current Vehicle:2011 FX2 Supercrew EcoBoost

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:58 AM

Just to throw this out there, but the readings on the instrument cluster can be set to instant mpg's or you can set it to average your mileage every 5 minutes. I usually keep it on the 5 minute deal and wait until I get on a flat stretch of road and hit the reset button. It will increase your mpg's depending on your driving habits. A couple of weeks ago I traveled to Athens Ga. from Jacksonville Fl. and then thirty miles back to Madison Ga. on 3/4 of a tank of gas traveling at 75 mph on the interstate. Take into consideration that there was about 70-80 miles on 2 lane roads. When I stopped to fill back up I had 411 miles. On the way back, I got 461 miles on my 26 gallon tank. I was seeing how far I could comfortably go before filling back up, and needless to say I was running on fumes. I have a buddy with an EcoBoost engine and the best he's got on a tank of gas is 486 with a 26 gallon tank. Bottom line is we all like to get on that impressive gas peddle, but we suffer the consequences at the gas pump and our mpg's..

Nice to see another Jacksonvillian on here! I went up to my buddies house last weekend which is 60 miles SW of Atlanta and I got 18.5 at 75mph and 18 at 80mph. My city average is 14.5 but, I tend to lean in to the go pedal. Thats a SCREW FX2 with 3:55 gears.

P.S. What do you think about our new owner? About time they got rid of Del Rio!

#7 jnmallory

jnmallory

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBurley Idaho
  • Current Vehicle:F150 EB Kingranch

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:51 PM

I just spoke to a ford mechanic that I trust and he said the soot is kind of normal because of the turbo spool and extra fuel injected. Take it for what its worth. My fuel mileage has been bad. no other way to put it. 14.5mpg on hwy at 75mph. 13.5 mpg and town. I've been trying to drive responsibly but it doesn't help my mileage. I have 8500 miles on it. Love the truck but not the mileage. If anyone has suggestions please help. My ford dealer is not much help at this point. Have an appointment again for tomorrow , we will see.

Dec 8 2011 had my EB into the dealer today. I had put some 275 -70-R 18 BFG TA on my pick up when I had 850 miles on it. I now have a little over 8500 miles. They said the bigger tire with the more aggressive tread was the reason I was getting bad MPG. So we put the stock tires 275-65-R18 back on. I will update when I get some mileage on them. Next Monday I have a business trip.

Edited by jnmallory, 08 December 2011 - 08:06 PM.

#8 jaxtpr

jaxtpr

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Ford F150

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:49 AM

Nice to see another Jacksonvillian on here! I went up to my buddies house last weekend which is 60 miles SW of Atlanta and I got 18.5 at 75mph and 18 at 80mph. My city average is 14.5 but, I tend to lean in to the go pedal. Thats a SCREW FX2 with 3:55 gears.

P.S. What do you think about our new owner? About time they got rid of Del Rio!

I reckon we will have to see what happens. So far, what I've seen and heard from the new owner sounds promising. I also heard Del Rio was somewhat by-polar. You didn't know what direction he would be coming from. When Coughlin was here, he started his foundation and perform and contributed to several different charities. I haven't heard of anything Del Rio has done for the community, or at least I'm not aware of any. Yes it is good to have someone from J'ville on the forum. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I wish I could get on it more than I do. Take Care

#9 Grandillusion

Grandillusion

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F150 Lariat Super-Crew, 3.55 LS Axel, 78" Bed

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:17 AM

I too was told by the dealer that the truck had to have "6000-7000" miles on it before I would see the mileage improve. I agree that the truck is very nice, but with only a 5hp difference between the 5.0 and the ecoboost, in the end, I went with the ecoboost for the increased mileage. I have to wonder if I was fed a line to shut me up for a while. From what I've been reading on line, guys with the big (super-crew) 4x4's are getting better mileage with the 5.0's. My mileage has been exactly opposite what one might expect... on the highway, about 15-16mpg while 19+ in town. Figure that one out!

#10 unimpressedmpg

unimpressedmpg

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:F150 S'Cab

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

I too was told by the dealer that the truck had to have "6000-7000" miles on it before I would see the mileage improve. I agree that the truck is very nice, but with only a 5hp difference between the 5.0 and the ecoboost, in the end, I went with the ecoboost for the increased mileage. I have to wonder if I was fed a line to shut me up for a while. From what I've been reading on line, guys with the big (super-crew) 4x4's are getting better mileage with the 5.0's. My mileage has been exactly opposite what one might expect... on the highway, about 15-16mpg while 19+ in town. Figure that one out!

Well, the same idea here. I am only averaging 14.1 babied mpg, but have noticed the instant mpg seems to shoot up to the mid to high 20's when driving around town but barely maintains 14 on the highway at 65. Have 2011 Scab, 3.55 limited slip. While the available power in the motor is unreal ( I think this thing will move whatever you can put a chain on), I wish I would have 'had a V8.'

Ford needs to step to the window and fix this before this motor dies a fast death in future trucks.

#11 sobx

sobx

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMHC, NC
  • Current Vehicle:Tacoma

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

I just spoke to a ford mechanic that I trust and he said the soot is kind of normal because of the turbo spool and extra fuel injected. Take it for what its worth. My fuel mileage has been bad. no other way to put it. 14.5mpg on hwy at 75mph. 13.5 mpg and town. I've been trying to drive responsibly but it doesn't help my mileage. I have 8500 miles on it. Love the truck but not the mileage. If anyone has suggestions please help. My ford dealer is not much help at this point. Have an appointment again for tomorrow , we will see.

Dec 8 2011 had my EB into the dealer today. I had put some 275 -70-R 18 BFG TA on my pick up when I had 850 miles on it. I now have a little over 8500 miles. They said the bigger tire with the more aggressive tread was the reason I was getting bad MPG. So we put the stock tires 275-65-R18 back on. I will update when I get some mileage on them. Next Monday I have a business trip.

I have a 2009 Tacoma 4cyl 4x4, rated 17/22. When I got it I could get 24 at 65mph with a gentle foot. Changed tires to semi aggressive Toyo's, now 21 is nearly impossible. Tires make a huge difference. If I had aggressive treads I would think I could lose another 2-3 easy. Just my .02

#12 jnmallory

jnmallory

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBurley Idaho
  • Current Vehicle:F150 EB Kingranch

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:59 AM

I have a 2009 Tacoma 4cyl 4x4, rated 17/22. When I got it I could get 24 at 65mph with a gentle foot. Changed tires to semi aggressive Toyo's, now 21 is nearly impossible. Tires make a huge difference. If I had aggressive treads I would think I could lose another 2-3 easy. Just my .02

Well, I put some stock rims and tires on and the best I could do on the fwy was 17 mpgs. My Screw 6.5' king ranch F150 EB is the nicest pick up I've ever owned, but I'm disappointed in the mileage. I have 11500 miles now and no change so I think when dealers tell you to wait till for more miles then it will get better are just telling you what they think. I wish I would have opted for the diesel now. My old one was a diesel, and I thought with the price of diesel, and the 19-20 mpgs I should get from the F150 EB , I'm disappointed with my purches of a $50,000 dollar F 150 EB.

By the way the tires I put on where the BFG TA 275-70-R18 ten ply. I travel on gravel roads and pull a trailer sometimes so a heavier ply is a must.

#13 unimpressedmpg

unimpressedmpg

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:F150 S'Cab

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:29 AM

Well, the same idea here. I am only averaging 14.1 babied mpg, but have noticed the instant mpg seems to shoot up to the mid to high 20's when driving around town but barely maintains 14 on the highway at 65. Have 2011 Scab, 3.55 limited slip. While the available power in the motor is unreal ( I think this thing will move whatever you can put a chain on), I wish I would have 'had a V8.'

Ford needs to step to the window and fix this before this motor dies a fast death in future trucks.

UPDATE: Local dealer didn't want much to do with a mileage issue. After a little persistence and a trick up my sleeve, I can now say I am getting a lot better treatment. Not how I hoped or wanted it to work out, but after a full day of testing, it has been acknowledged that something actually IS wrong with it. Dealer is replacing a turbo wastegate; I won't have it back for a few days but hopefully this will help improve the mileage. And thanks to my 'ally' for helping me out. With a little luck, this will get passed through Ford to other dealers as something to check when poor mileage exists.

#14 Grandillusion

Grandillusion

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F150 Lariat Super-Crew, 3.55 LS Axel, 78" Bed

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:19 AM

UPDATE: Local dealer didn't want much to do with a mileage issue. After a little persistence and a trick up my sleeve, I can now say I am getting a lot better treatment. Not how I hoped or wanted it to work out, but after a full day of testing, it has been acknowledged that something actually IS wrong with it. Dealer is replacing a turbo wastegate; I won't have it back for a few days but hopefully this will help improve the mileage. And thanks to my 'ally' for helping me out. With a little luck, this will get passed through Ford to other dealers as something to check when poor mileage exists.

Keep us up to date on any improvements in mpg's once you get it back, I (like many others, I'm sure) am very interested whether this helps or not.

#15 swilky2000

swilky2000

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationmi
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F150 SCab XLT ECo 4X4 3.55 gears

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:34 PM

2011 XLT SC 3.55 gears EB 4x4

I have just over 13k miles and have consistently gotten 20-22 mpg highway. Avg 70mph.
Didn't get the 20s till after 3500 miles.

I avg 17+ per tank. Have a 20 minute 10 mile commute.

Had a bad cam pos sensor bank2 intake a few weeks ago. Have seen 23+ on my last 30 mile highway run.
Also my 2-1 hard shift is gone too.

I hear alot of bad mileage stories. I don't seem to have an issue.

Have driven Ann Arbor, Mi to St. Catharines Ontario round trip on a single tank several times. 540 miles total.
Pushing it but it makes it.

Edited by swilky2000, 29 January 2012 - 04:11 AM.

#16 FLScott1

FLScott1

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F-150 Ecoboost SCREW

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

Have there been any updates on this topic since the last posts in January? I have noticed about a 3 MPG drop in my numbers since I picked up a continious whine in my engine. Seems like every time I pay the dealer a visit, I get the "That's normal" excuse.

#17 acadianbob

acadianbob

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN
  • Current Vehicle:2012 FX4 Ecoboost

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

I live in Minnesota; it's winter; it's cold. Brand new Ecoboost. Averaging 18 mpg. Expect another 1 to 2 mpg as it breaks in and the weather gets warmer. IMO it is all about driving style. Stay out of the turbo's and you will do fine. Get into them and expect to pay for the power they can deliver.

#18 acadianbob

acadianbob

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN
  • Current Vehicle:2012 FX4 Ecoboost

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:43 AM

The Ecoboost is not really about horsepower; it is about torque.

#19 Bubbanewf

Bubbanewf

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTN
  • Current Vehicle:Ford F150 5.4

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

In town is always where a smaller engine saves gas. ESP. every time its idling.

It does seem to take more gas to do the same high speeds as I used to.
Every time you hit the gas and the turbos are working harder, you will see the mpg gauge drop
The faster you drive over about sixty, the less mpg you will be able to get. Whether they can do better with the eight, I am not sure. But, I couldnt with my 5.4 no matter how hard I tried. At least with the V6, I can
get good mileage when I want to and have the option of great power when I need it. Bottom line is you cant drive at 80 mph and expect to get the advertised 21 mpg. Its not going to happen.

I drive in the hills everyday and mpg goes down as I go up hill and back up as I coast down the other side. I guess FLAT LANDERS are lucky in that they can get that 21 mpg if they want too.

I average 13 mpg pulling my 2500 lbs of trailer load at 65 to 70mph. It goes up to 17 when I get off the Interstate.

If I get an enclosed car hauler/toy hauler I will know better what a heavier load will do to the mileage.

This is my fourth new pickup. It is by far the best of any. My Diesel would haul more trailer but doesnt ride like this truck. I dont need the noise of glasspacks or boom boxes etc and I can say, this truck is quiet!

I had it Rhino lined and that is about the only option I needed to add. I wouldnt mind having some extra HID lights, but traffic has gotten so you can hardly use your bright lights anymore.

2012 SC 373 rear 5.5 bed , max tow.

#20 canon_mutant

canon_mutant

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationKansas
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F150 SC Ecoboost

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

Problem is, I can't drive 65 and get 21 either. When I got it, 65mph consistently yielded better than 22. 75 would yield 20 and perhaps a little change. Posted on F150forum that I've taken the same drive now Friday and again today, same result 17.3mpg. This drive was better than 20 when I got the truck because I did it multiple times.

I've concluded that I've basically lost 3mpg because of "some unknown but fairly common problem". You add in cold weather and crappy fuel that always costs you 1-2mpg in winter and then I am down 5mpg.

There are no codes so it's going to take a mechanic that can think on the fly.

Someone just posted over there that he just got his fixed but didn't give details about a particular TSB or what was done?. Anxiously waiting . . .
2011 Gray/Silver SC XLT 4x4 ECOBoost, Custom 4x4 Decal/Stripe, EcoBoost badge on tailgate
FX4 Wheels w/Michelin MS/2s for mpgs
MBRP stainless Catback w/Magnaflow 22" muffler and 14" resonator
Spray in liner and Pace Edwards Jackrabbit Tonneau
Kenwood Excelon XR-4S 120/4W amp and 4 6x8s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users