Ford F150 EcoBoost Owners Welcomes You!

Custom Search

Advertise here and reach the F150 Ecoboost community. Click here to find out more.

Ford F150 EcoBoost Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Ford F150 EcoBoost Forum welcomes you to our community! Like most online communities, you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By becoming a member, you'll enjoy these benefits and more:

Receive special discount offers on apparel, parts and merchandise!
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Post your photos to the gallery
• View fewer ads. . .more

Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

F150 EcoBoost Apparel

F150 EcoBoost Hat

F150 EcoBoost Key Chain

F150 EcoBoost Shirt

F150 EB Exhaust

Shop For More Here

Photo
- - - - -

ecoboost hesitation

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tyson beebe

tyson beebe

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationlethbridge alberta
  • Current Vehicle:2012 f-150 5.0 litre

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:46 PM

well i purchased my ecoboost in may i now have almost 17000 miles on it and day one when i got it my skid plates bolts came off i had them replaced then a couple weeks later my engine light came on,ford determined it was a sensor and replaced it.i have the 3,73 rear axle i average about 16 to 17 mpg on the hiway and about 14 to 15 in the city and thats babying it,i noticed when i got it the engine was pretty quite now its louder and when it idles the rpm go up and down every so often.The main problem is when im on the hiway or at a stop light when it shifts from first to second it hesitates it feels rough and when going up hills on the hiway it does the same thing it jerks in the back some where around the rear axle.im not sure if its the tranny or the injectors but i paid 43000 for it and im disapointed in the truck,the jerking doesnt happen all the time but frequently i feel like im not driving a brand new truck!!!!!! i opened it up once on the hiway when i got to about 110 km it started jerking and the engine light was blinking off and on.I hope ford can figure out whats wrong with it because its in the shop now!!!!!!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 Kentruck

Kentruck

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:2011 f150 supercrew

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:38 AM

Keep us posted with what the shop finds, your truck should not be running this bad!

well i purchased my ecoboost in may i now have almost 17000 miles on it and day one when i got it my skid plates bolts came off i had them replaced then a couple weeks later my engine light came on,ford determined it was a sensor and replaced it.i have the 3,73 rear axle i average about 16 to 17 mpg on the hiway and about 14 to 15 in the city and thats babying it,i noticed when i got it the engine was pretty quite now its louder and when it idles the rpm go up and down every so often.The main problem is when im on the hiway or at a stop light when it shifts from first to second it hesitates it feels rough and when going up hills on the hiway it does the same thing it jerks in the back some where around the rear axle.im not sure if its the tranny or the injectors but i paid 43000 for it and im disapointed in the truck,the jerking doesnt happen all the time but frequently i feel like im not driving a brand new truck!!!!!! i opened it up once on the hiway when i got to about 110 km it started jerking and the engine light was blinking off and on.I hope ford can figure out whats wrong with it because its in the shop now!!!!!!

Edited by Kentruck, 15 December 2011 - 02:38 AM.

#3 tyson beebe

tyson beebe

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:47 AM

[quote name='Kentruck' timestamp='1323945494' post='3061']
Keep us posted with what the shop finds, your truck should not be running this bad!
[/quote Well i got it back yesterday,they took it for a test drive and reset the transmission.when i first drove it it felt good had more power but seemed to be a little harder on fuel but it drives good for now.Tommorow i will take it for a good drive and see what happens,one thing i noticed that never happened before was my fuel display was at 18.4 mpg then all of a sudden it jumped to 17 mpg but i was in a rush and didnt have time to warm it up properly not sure if other trucks do that?

#4 tracymangus

tracymangus

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMansfield, Tx
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F150 SCrew Platnium EcoBoost, Soon to be a 2013 F250 Larriat TD

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:25 AM

My 2011 F150 EB Platnium did the same thing when it had 350 miles on it. took off from a stop and about 45 MPH the whole truck started shaking like the drive shaft was coming apart and the check engine light was flashing. pulled over and put truck in park without turning off engine and back to drive and it was ok after that. when the dealer looked at it, NO Codes at all were set so they could not do anything about it. I get 14 - 15 MPG at best and have rough idles and harsh shifting and still have not got Ford to fix it or acknowledge there is a problem.

#5 mpk1996

mpk1996

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Locationfl
  • Current Vehicle:2012 f150 fx4

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

I am having some issues with my truck as well. after bringing it back to the dealership a few times we have found the problem. the CAC (intercooler) collects water and then when you jump on it that water goes into the engine causing all kinds of shaking and problem. i have had it happen a few times on longer highway driving with the cruise control on. ford had an air diverter that they are trying (mine has it, but still having issues). right now ford doesn't have a solution, but i am told they are working on it.

#6 Ghosthex13

Ghosthex13

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Current Vehicle:F-150 4x4 Ecoboost Supercrew Sterling Grey

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

I am having some issues with my truck as well. after bringing it back to the dealership a few times we have found the problem. the CAC (intercooler) collects water and then when you jump on it that water goes into the engine causing all kinds of shaking and problem. i have had it happen a few times on longer highway driving with the cruise control on. ford had an air diverter that they are trying (mine has it, but still having issues). right now ford doesn't have a solution, but i am told they are working on it.

Mine did the same thing Monday night misfiring shuddering and engine light. I took it in Tues morning and they said the is a TSB out on this prob. They put on the air deflector and flashed the cpu. I drove away and about 4 miles down the road it did it again. Took it right back with it still shuddering. They hooked it up and it turns out the #3 coil bank is shot. I get it back tomorrow. Hopefully the prob is licked.

#7 Ghosthex13

Ghosthex13

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Current Vehicle:F-150 4x4 Ecoboost Supercrew Sterling Grey

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

Mine did the same thing Monday night misfiring shuddering and engine light. I took it in Tues morning and they said the is a TSB out on this prob. They put on the air deflector and flashed the cpu. I drove away and about 4 miles down the road it did it again. Took it right back with it still shuddering. They hooked it up and it turns out the #3 coil bank is shot. I get it back tomorrow. Hopefully the prob is licked.

New coil is in and she works ok so far. I've driven her about 15 miles at highway speeds without issue. Glad that is overwith and under warranty.

#8 wwest

wwest

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationRedmond WA
  • Current Vehicle:1993 ranger PU, 24' E350 MH

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:37 AM

Speaking of which...

I'm making a concession.....

The F150 EcoBoost's turbocharger provides BOOST pressure, pressure slightly above atmospheric, ahead of the CAC even in cruise mode.

How else could there be a significant enough pressure drop across the CAC that condensation forms...?

On the other hand there is NO WAY that boost pressure can be allowed to reach the actual intake manifold, intake valves, absent producing enough engine torque for a serious level of acceleration.

At first glance it appears foolish to have the turboes spun up enough to produce a significant level of boost even in cruise mode and then simply throttle the flow into the intake manifold.

Or maybe.....

Have the BOV open at all times if the throttle plate is not fully open, WOT.

What purpose would all that serve..?

Undoubtedly alleviate a high degree of turbo lag?

A carry-over engineering design aspect of the T-Bird SC...?

The early Birds used a BOV/bypass valve to route the output of the SC back into the input unless the throttle position indicated a requirement for boost. The problem that arose with that technique was that the temperature of the recirculating airflow sometimes rose to the point that engine damage would result.

Ford's answer....RECALL...add an "intercooler" in the BOV recirculate airstream AHEAD of the SC intake.

Technique sound all too familier..???

#9 poolw

poolw

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Current Vehicle:F150 XLT supercrew 4x4

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

Yoou need to replace this sensor - -

7.02087.03 P416B

FoMoCo  11T206

BL3E-9K378-BA  12V

Here was my experience with this problem - -

The first time was after I experience a terrific misfiring and shaking of
the engine when attempting to pass.  It also appeared that the transmission
was confused as to which gear it wanted at the same time.  This is so severe
you would think the motor threw a rod.  You have to pull over and stop for a
while to let the motor regain its senses.  Then it seem ok. to go on.

My dealer has looked at it and told me that it indicated an over boost
condition.  They clear the engine light and nothing more.  This past week
I drove from Chicago to Texas and notice the engine light was back on.  Are
there any bulletins on this condition?  If my engine is operating in an over
boost conditional, that would explain the poor gas mileage I got on the
highway?

I was in and out of the dealer serveral time until I final wrote a letter to the CEO of Ford.  Suddenly I had the Ford Reps were calling me everyday to get my trunk back to the dealer.  And then they fix it.

Good Luck with your Eco-Boost

poolw

Attached File  Sensor.jpg   132.84KB   3 downloads

#10 robertlane

robertlane

• Moderators
  • 209 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI
  • Current Vehicle:Shelby GT500, E350

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

Yoou need to replace this sensor - -

7.02087.03 P416B

FoMoCo  11T206

BL3E-9K378-BA  12V

Here was my experience with this problem - -

The first time was after I experience a terrific misfiring and shaking of
the engine when attempting to pass.  It also appeared that the transmission
was confused as to which gear it wanted at the same time.  This is so severe
you would think the motor threw a rod.  You have to pull over and stop for a
while to let the motor regain its senses.  Then it seem ok. to go on.

My dealer has looked at it and told me that it indicated an over boost
condition.  They clear the engine light and nothing more.  This past week
I drove from Chicago to Texas and notice the engine light was back on.  Are
there any bulletins on this condition?  If my engine is operating in an over
boost conditional, that would explain the poor gas mileage I got on the
highway?

I was in and out of the dealer serveral time until I final wrote a letter to the CEO of Ford.  Suddenly I had the Ford Reps were calling me everyday to get my trunk back to the dealer.  And then they fix it.

Good Luck with your Eco-Boost

poolw

attachicon.gifSensor.jpg

Nice to have some tech feedback from other members :)

#11 gottwins

gottwins

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:FX4

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

As the guy who posted about the CAC/Intercooler being a problem, that has come up on a few EB's between 2011-2012. 2013 apparently has a "fix", the dealer fix is essentially to limit the amount of air flowing through - apparently it is too efficient if you can believe that. I have a friend who owns a Ford dealership in MD and he says he hasn't seen a single EB F150 with a problem, so I'm not sure how common the problem is. I know EB F150's make up over 40% of F150's sold, so given that I know of about 10 guys who have this problem, doesn't sound too prevalent  That said, sucks for those that have it. Push for the CAC to be changed, generally solves the hesitation issues. There are also some notes of improper gaps in the spark plugs on EB's which adds to the issue. I luckily haven't had it over 18K miles.

#12 tyson beebe

tyson beebe

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

well i traded my ecoboost a few months ago for the 5.0 litre and i must say i could not be happier,i have no issues with it but the only thing i miss is how fast the ecoboost was lol.My mileage is actually better i get 23 mpg on the highway and it feels way more solid all around,its heavier and i dont get manhandled on the highway when i pass a transport or when its really windy.I have 11000 kms on it and when i had the eco with the same kms this 5.0 litre gets about a litre better / 100 kms and i love how the exhaust rumbles it sounds like a real truck.

#13 strattera

strattera

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, AK
  • Current Vehicle:F150 EcoBoost SC Platinum, Expedition Limited

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:52 AM

Well this all sounds awful but thankfully I don't seem to have this problem with my truck (2011 F150 EB Platinum, 14,500mi). I clicked on this thread because of the hesitation part of the title. I do notice that if I jump into traffic I do have to give myself an extra second for the turbos to kick in when I punch it. But this seems no different than my previous two F350 diesels and their turbo lag. My winter mileage with the EB this winter has been about 12 in town (-10 to +20 degree temps) and 19-20 on the highway (same temps). In the summer when the temps are in the 50's I get a couple mpg's better. But I do not baby the EB, I "drive it like I stole it" most of the time, for no good reason other than I like the feeling of acceleration!  :happy feet:

#14 eric

eric

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Locationtexas

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

As the guy who posted about the CAC/Intercooler being a problem, that has come up on a few EB's between 2011-2012. 2013 apparently has a "fix", the dealer fix is essentially to limit the amount of air flowing through - apparently it is too efficient if you can believe that. I have a friend who owns a Ford dealership in MD and he says he hasn't seen a single EB F150 with a problem, so I'm not sure how common the problem is. I know EB F150's make up over 40% of F150's sold, so given that I know of about 10 guys who have this problem, doesn't sound too prevalent  That said, sucks for those that have it. Push for the CAC to be changed, generally solves the hesitation issues. There are also some notes of improper gaps in the spark plugs on EB's which adds to the issue. I luckily haven't had it over 18K miles.

Nice to have some tech feedback from other members :)

New coil is in and she works ok so far. I've driven her about 15 miles at highway speeds without issue. Glad that is overwith and under warranty.

My dealer tells me that it is a build up of moisture in the intercooler, then when you step on it, it draws excess moister over the spark plugs and fouls. I agree. Here in Texas we have been in a drought. The few times it rains or gets humid, I have the issue over & over. It is dangerous to allow yourself in a situation that you need instant, fast  accelleration

#15 wwest

wwest

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationRedmond WA
  • Current Vehicle:1993 ranger PU, 24' E350 MH

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

klio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users