Ford F150 EcoBoost Owners Welcomes You!

Custom Search

Advertise here and reach the F150 Ecoboost community. Click here to find out more.

Ford F150 EcoBoost Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Ford F150 EcoBoost Forum welcomes you to our community! Like most online communities, you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By becoming a member, you'll enjoy these benefits and more:

Receive special discount offers on apparel, parts and merchandise!
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Post your photos to the gallery
• View fewer ads. . .more

Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

F150 EcoBoost Apparel

F150 EcoBoost Hat

F150 EcoBoost Key Chain

F150 EcoBoost Shirt

F150 EB Exhaust

Shop For More Here

Photo
- - - - -

INTERCOOLER

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 4snoads

4snoads

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOttawa,Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F 150 Lariat EcoBoost Super Crew 4x4(ordered Jan 10, never arrived, could not locate after build) Re-ordered April 19, Platinum Ecoboost, Tri-coat white,SC, 4x4, 3.55ls, all options except max tow and tow mirrors)

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:43 AM

INTERCOOLER: Has anyone sourced an appropriate protection device, robust but not too restrictive, for the intercooler?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 mikesxpress

mikesxpress

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationFredericksburg, VA/Santee, SC
  • Current Vehicle:2011 EcoBoost SuperCab LB XLT 3.73

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:10 AM

INTERCOOLER: Has anyone sourced an appropriate protection device, robust but not too restrictive, for the intercooler?

Yep. Do a search on here for billet grill. i already posted it.
Posted Image
Captain Mike (USCG Master 100 GRT)

#3 BS Racing

BS Racing

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationWettern Washington
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F150 Platinum 3.5L EcoBoost

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:57 PM

I am actually thinking about contacting Gords ford they make an awesome screen for the 03 -04 Cobra.
May be a bit pricey but well worth it.
The wife got a 1" x 3/4" nut clip stuck in her intercooler in her cobra. Prior to getting her Gords ford intercooler and screen.
just need measurements.

http://www.gordsfordperformance.com/

Not sure if they are even still in business. :hysterical:

Edited by BS Racing, 11 March 2011 - 11:49 AM.

2011 F150 Platinum DD
99 F150 Lariat 4X4 S Cab SOLD
99 F150 Lightning My DD Traded in
03 Mustang Cobra Wife's car
06 Escape Hybrid Wife's DD
07 FXDSE summer DD/toy
77 Mustang II 2+2 302 with T Tops for sale

#4 4snoads

4snoads

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOttawa,Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F 150 Lariat EcoBoost Super Crew 4x4(ordered Jan 10, never arrived, could not locate after build) Re-ordered April 19, Platinum Ecoboost, Tri-coat white,SC, 4x4, 3.55ls, all options except max tow and tow mirrors)

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:11 AM

Yep. Do a search on here for billet grill. i already posted it.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I did see the posting but the little detail I could discern from the picture made me concerned about how restrictive that billet grill is for appropriate airflow.

#5 mikesxpress

mikesxpress

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:32 AM

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I did see the posting but the little detail I could discern from the picture made me concerned about how restrictive that billet grill is for appropriate airflow.

I have it here and it is wide open between the billets. Once I get the truck and install it i will have a better feel for the ability to get enough air flow.
Posted Image

#6 ecoboost666

ecoboost666

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:2011 FX4 EcoBoost

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:15 PM

Any updates on if this billet grille is restricting airflow?? I have one on order and will pwd coat to match the body color but am curious if anyone has an update on how well this flows air. thanks

Edited by ecoboost666, 11 April 2011 - 05:17 PM.

#7 taperk600

taperk600

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationLG, NY
  • Current Vehicle:Arctic Cat 720 SnoPro

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:09 AM

Any updates on if this billet grille is restricting airflow?? I have one on order and will pwd coat to match the body color but am curious if anyone has an update on how well this flows air. thanks

X's 2.... waiting to here real world feedback on the air flow. Want to protect it (and fill the ugly void in the bumper) but don't want to starve it for air doing so.
2011 Super Crew Lariat EcoBoost in Sterling Grey over black leather. Heated & Cooled Buckets.
6.5 ft box, Max Tow pakage, Off Road Package, 3.73 gears with electric locking rear differential.
Harley Davidson tinted head lights and tail lights. Undercover hard tonneau. Line-X spray-in. More to come.

1999 Chaparral Sunesta 233LE; 5.7 efi Merc/ Bravo 3 outdrive
Scuba yr 'round
Arctic Cats......
2011 600 SnoPro Cross Country
2010 500 SnoPro / D&D 720
2010 SnoPro 500

#8 mikesxpress

mikesxpress

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:10 AM

X's 2.... waiting to here real world feedback on the air flow. Want to protect it (and fill the ugly void in the bumper) but don't want to starve it for air doing so.

Installed it with 35 miles showing and a full tank of fuel. Filled up 2nd tank and used some constuction ribbons at the rear of the billet grill & before the intercooler. Same flow pattern as above for the radiator. At idle all ribbons are straight not flapping. It appears to be getting enough air flow? No lag on the hwy when you stand in it. I'm sure a more detailed method of checking temps and performance is in order but this is what I have for now. I'm going to run it! And when I can find some 3/16" mesh SS screen, the whole front inside the grill is getting screened to keep crap out of the fins. Same as my SuperDuty. You stop and the bugs just fall off the screen.
Posted Image

#9 1depd

1depd

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast
  • Current Vehicle:F-150 Lariat SCREW

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:13 PM

mike--Where'd you get your bumper grill?

#10 AMA112

AMA112

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCalgary AB Canada
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F150 FX4 Eco Boost

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:52 PM

The intercooler sits on a good angle, I ran a big front mount on my Evo for a long time with no protection and never had an issue even at 30PSI
I believe the angle of the cooler will reduce the risk of rocks penetrating greatly. Bugs wash off easy enough....
it's a bar and plate design not tube and fin... tougher than they look. I just don't like the plastic end tanks.

However if you don't like the open mouth look I totally understand.

#11 NorCal Hal

NorCal Hal

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F-150 Ecoboost XLT 4X4 S-crew 5.5 bed, spray in bed liner, electric stepboards, front & rear flaps, rear underbumper fold down step, under seat storage, Sylvania Silverstar headlamps, rubber side molding, underseat gear box, rubber tailgate pad.

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:02 AM

I too would like to conceal that UGLY hole.. Here is the e-mail I received from FoMoCo today....

Hello Hal,

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company. My name is Julie and I'm with Ford's Customer Service Department.

I understand you wanted to install a screen/grille over the front bumper opening on your 2011 Ford F-150. I have personally looked into this matter and our records show that you contacted our Center yesterday July 20th over the phone. As has been noted to you, the area where you're interested to install a screen/grille should be kept clear. Otherwise, it may affect the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Thank you for writing.

Sincerely,
Julie
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

#12 dirty35s

dirty35s

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Locationmanitoba
  • Current Vehicle:2011 FX4 ecoboost

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:25 AM

I have installed a t rex grill infront of the intercooler. Have not found any differance. Also have towed with grill in but used 91 octane fuel. Never notice differance.

#13 vwluca

vwluca

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada
  • Current Vehicle:F150 XLT XTR4 EB S-crew, 6.5'

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:25 PM

Hi there to all, my personnal 2 cents comment on a ''protection grill'' for my F150 EB. I attached a picture of my grill protection. Please excuse if it's dirty. It's been raining for the past 5 days here.

I purchased my F150 EB this past may and love it. Here is my experience with the intercooler ''protection''. I've been driving 7 VWs turbo diesels for the past 25 years and always ''protected'' my intercoolers with some custom grills that I've made. I made one for my new EB and many have seen it and ask where I got it. One day, a guy waited for me in the shopping mall's parking lot.

Some people say that warranty will be voided if we do it on our EB. I've been using a SCANGAUGE mini computer for many years in my last TDI VW that I just swap into my new EB. For those interested, last weekend I drove from Montreal to Philadelphia and the maximum dif ference from the outside temp and air intake was 2C. Leaving Philadelphia sunday, my truck's temp showed 27C and the air intake temp on the SCANGAUGE was 29C.

How in the heck can you damage anything with 2C difference. Even if some say that it needs plenty air, it's a closed unit and air flows through it anyways.

For those interested in the SCANGAUGE, it plugs in the ODBII connector directly. Installation............. 1 beer and 10 minutes including setup.
Information available, boost gauge, volts, air intake temp, volts, engine load, RPM, speed, liters/100K, liters before empty, instant fuel consomption, average, etc.....
Can be configured metric or US.

Luc
Montreal, Canada

Attached Files

Edited by vwluca, 15 October 2011 - 01:31 PM.

#14 umpire.20

umpire.20

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM
  • Current Vehicle:F-150 XLT Super Crew - 3.5L Eco-Boost V6

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:55 PM

Hi there to all, my personnal 2 cents comment on a ''protection grill'' for my F150 EB. I attached a picture of my grill protection. Please excuse if it's dirty. It's been raining for the past 5 days here.

*****Some original text deleted*****

For those interested in the SCANGAUGE, it plugs in the ODBII connector directly. Installation............. 1 beer and 10 minutes including setup.
Information available, boost gauge, volts, air intake temp, volts, engine load, RPM, speed, liters/100K, liters before empty, instant fuel consomption, average, etc.....
Can be configured metric or US.

Luc
Montreal, Canada

I don't know much about the gauges you refer to, but I certainly do like the installation instructions .............................. 1 beer and 10 minutes including setup. Now this sounds like the kind of job I would be interested in! :happy feet:

2011 F-150 4x2 Super Crew
Eco Boost 3.5L V6 Engine
3.55 Limited Slip Axle
145" Wheel Base 4x2
Golden Bronze Metallic

#15 vwluca

vwluca

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada
  • Current Vehicle:F150 XLT XTR4 EB S-crew, 6.5'

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:03 PM

I don't know much about the gauges you refer to, but I certainly do like the installation instructions .............................. 1 beer and 10 minutes including setup. Now this sounds like the kind of job I would be interested in! :happy feet:

Too bad your not closer cause I would have given you a peace of the ''black perforated sheet metal '' that I have left. I got that from a friend and it was taken out of a building's computer room. What was it for ????
It is pretty thick. My hand was num when I finished cutting it with a sheet metal scisor.

Scangauge, here is the link. On an ''old'' publicity on the Ecoboost that I found on the WEB, the engineer/Ford guy that went around the USA for road testing had two on the dash.

http://www.scangauge.com/

Regards

Luc
Montreal, Canada

Edited by vwluca, 17 October 2011 - 03:07 PM.

#16 hardlymoving

hardlymoving

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota
  • Current Vehicle:2012 F150 Ext Cab Ecoboost

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:35 PM

Check out the website for www.cloud-rider.com Their part number is 33-4148 for the one with a hole for the block heater electrical cord but they also have a model without the hole. I believe they have different designs but the design for 33-4148 is for diagonally spaced square holes (diamond shaped holes). It appears to be nice quality but have not yet installed it as my truck has not yet arrived.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users