Ford F150 EcoBoost Owners Welcomes You!

Custom Search

Advertise here and reach the F150 Ecoboost community. Click here to find out more.

Ford F150 EcoBoost Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Ford F150 EcoBoost Forum welcomes you to our community! Like most online communities, you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By becoming a member, you'll enjoy these benefits and more:

Receive special discount offers on apparel, parts and merchandise!
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Post your photos to the gallery
• View fewer ads. . .more

Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

F150 EcoBoost Apparel

F150 EcoBoost Hat

F150 EcoBoost Key Chain

F150 EcoBoost Shirt

F150 EB Exhaust

Shop For More Here

Photo

FORD ECO-BOOST PROBLEMS

LACK OF POWER & POOR MILEAGE

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 glwbear

glwbear

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F-150 ECO-BOOST

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

HERE IS SOMETHING NEW TO READ!
FELLOW ECO-BOOST OWNERS: LOOK AT THIS FROM A FORD MASTER TECH!

"Sorry to hear about your concerns on your new Ford F-150 Eco-Boost. I ran your vin and there is a service message for a lack of power concern with possible mil light on and code p0299 stored for turbo performance. The procedure is to check the intercooler and ducting with the smoke test, you may have a boost leak from your intercooler or ducting. Lack of power with turbos will cause possible bad mpgs and poor performance issues".

I know your aware of Turbo lag, so I'm not concerned with that. Have your Ford Tech check for these issues and then get back to me.

I checked all the hoses and fittings an nothing was loose. I could have a frozen or stuck Turbo???

MY 2012 F150 ECO-BOOST has had terrible performance since day 1 and the fuel mileage is almost never over 15mpg, in town it's worse! My wife's Toyota Avalon will blow the doors off the F150 Eco-Boost and so will my daughters Chevy Impala! I've got the tow package & 3:73 gears. When passing the engine seems to run out of steam at about 75 mph! Three (3) times now I have NOT been able to pass a slower vehicle and I had to "Back-Off" the throttle and move back into my lane! We went to the local airport and tested the Eco-Boost against the 2012 Chevy V6 impala and with my wife's 2007 Toyota Avalon with 295 hp. Both other vehicles "BLEW MY DOORS OFF" for acceleration. I took it into the local dealer and he said they couldn't fins anything wrong with the Truck. I'M PRETTY PISSED OFF!

The Truck scares me now, as when I need the extra power it just doesn't have it! My 2008 Chevy 1 ton diesel with 3:73 gears will blow the F150 Eco-Boost away! Something is very wrong and FORD needs to step up to the plate and help me and others that have issues with this Eco-Boost engine.

Anyone got any comments or ideas!

GLWBEAR

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 frodrei

frodrei

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationMedford Oregon
  • Current Vehicle:2012 F-150 Lariat

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

Hey I am sorry your having troubles, take it to another dealer for the fix, something is not right. I just took a short trip on the freeway with cruz control engaged @ 60mph, moved over for merging trafic and a fellow prevented me from moving back into the slow lane. Pressed the accelarator and I mean it was like being in a jet, at a moment in time they were dots in my rear view and I was doing close to a 100mph, it was both impressive and scary. Never seen this much tork and HP. They can fix it then you will be very happy and satisfied. Larait screw 5.5 3.73 eco 1000 miles.
Good luck.

#3 Grandillusion

Grandillusion

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F150 Lariat Super-Crew, 3.55 LS Axel, 78" Bed

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

How did you make contact with this "Master Tech" to get this information? Although I'm not experienceing the power loss when I need it, with over 5000 miles on the truck now I'm still unable to top 16 mpg babying the truck at 60 mph. MPG's drop like a rock when the speed increases from there. In researching the lemon laws, I'm not sure they will cover the poor fuel economy (significantly less than advertised), but as the first year approaches (still 7 months out), if Ford doesn't come up with a fix, I'm going to push the lemon law. The dealer service department has confirmed that the mpg's are not right but still can't find a problem and pass it off as the truck needing 7k-10k miles for a breakin period before mileage will increase. Total BS since so many others are experiencing the advertised mileage right off of the lot.

#4 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F150 4X4 CRW Lariat Ecoboost 3.73 Gears

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:03 AM

I have owned my 2011 Ecoboost for 6 months now, have 8500 miles on it, and am very disappointed with the fuel mileage that I’m getting (best on HWY is 15.8 & worst is 12.7, 14.075 AVG over the 8500 miles on my truck, calculations were done by hand). My 2008 Tundra was getting better mileage than my Ecoboost, and it was lifted 3” with Oversized 20” wheels.
I have read most of the posts on this forum concerning issues people are experiencing with fuel mileage, and the comments from those that are not trying to bash the Ford product. I’m tired of those talking about a break-in period, as I haven’t seen any substantial increase in MPGs over my 8500 miles. I’m also tired of those saying “well it’s a truck you shouldn’t expect great gas mileage”. These people obviously haven’t seen the Ford commercials touting the great fuel economy we are all supposed to be getting! I know there is an issue with my engine when others are getting 17 to 18 in the city and 21 to 23 on the highway.

I have been to my dealer several times complaining of my poor fuel mileage, and why I have black soot around my tailpipe. They finally brought in a Ford field service engineer to look at why my truck was not getting the fuel mileage Ford said I should be getting. He took my truck for a 50 mile road test, and according to the computer he hooked up to my truck, it is getting an average of 17.2 miles per gallon, which is within Fords tolerances. I told the dealership that 50 miles is not a valid test, as it should be hand calculated with a few tanks of gas.

In my frustration I found email addresses for the CEO on down from Ford, and wrote a letter to them voicing my disappointment with my Ecoboost F150. They wrote me back telling me that according to the reports from the Field Service Engineer, there is no issue with my truck. They also said that there is nothing they can do if the computer system does not tell them that there is anything wrong with my truck. I am so done with my F150 and the purchase of any Ford product in the future. I feel that there is a problem with many Ecoboost engines out there, and Ford wants to ignore it. I thought that I had a Friday built truck or a lemon, but the more I read on all of these forums, there is an issue with this engine even if Ford doesn’t want to admit it.

I traded my 2008 Toyota Tundra in on my F150 after viewing the video that Ford produced touting the engineering that went into this truck, the torque it produced, and all this with great fuel economy. Right now I’m trying to find a dealership that will buy my F150 so I can go back to a Tundra! I will have to say that Ford did a great job with the design fit and finish of the Interior on the F150.

#5 maccve

maccve

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMissouri
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F-150 Ecoboost Lariat SuperCrew

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

I have a 2011 Ecoboost which I have owned since last November...absolutely love it! I have about 10,100 mile on it and just returned from a vacation from Missouri to Florida. Had it fully loaded with a Tonneau Cover on it and ended up getting about 19.1 mpg overall...including all the Interstate and City Driving for the entire trip. On the way down with all interstate, I got about 20.5 mpg...much better that my 2004 Tundra which got at best about 17 mpg on the highway. Anyway, the issue with no power is definitely something wrong with the system somewhere. I have never had any lack of power and usually the only lag I get is when the transmission is shifting to the correct gear....I wish Ford could get Toyota's transmission and combine it with this Engine! My tundra transmission was so smooth, but I loved the styling (interior and exterior) of this truck much much more than the current tundra and one test drive in the Ecoboost and I was sold!

I did not get a good feel for how long my break in period was, but I do feel it has gradually gotten better over these 10,000 miles, but I was getting in the 20's mpg on the first weekend I owned it while on a 2 hour interstate trip with cruise set at 70 mph.

I have also not had any problems whatsoever (knock on wood)...other than my driver seat squeaks when the temperature gets in the 50 to 60 degree range...one of my kids pulled the rear AC plug-in out when she was unplugging her DSi while on vacation, but I just pulled the wires out, plugged it back in and it was good as new! Have been very happy thus far...I hope everyone with problems can get them figured out...

#6 gt40351

gt40351

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Locationhackett,ar
  • Current Vehicle:2012 super crew f150

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

You have a serious problem when you complain about lack of power from an Ecoboost!! My Screw 4X4 Offroad will accelerate from 60mph to over 100mph in about 7 seconds! Absloutely no problem passing,even pulling my 6500lb. car trailer(got 13.5mpg on 200mlie mile trip w/trailer)Truck mileage is slowly going up,got 17.5 freeway when new,up to 18.5 last trip.(only has 3500miles) Ford needs to get off their asses & fix these warranty issues,this is the best truck on the road when it's working correctly....

#7 Jpuch

Jpuch

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationCT
  • Current Vehicle:2006 F150 4x4

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

2012 EB SCREW 4x4. HD tow package. 4500 ml on it.
Took a trip towing camper (9000lbs). When I tried to merg onto the highway I had to go full throttle when I was surprised by oncoming traffic. The truck started to excelerate normal and then started to shutter and lost power. Speed fell to 30 MPH and whould not accelerate for about 2min. The engine light started to blink and then stayed on. Then the truck started to operate normal again except the engine light stayed on. Later I had to merg onto another highway. Same thing happened again. I made it to my destination in one piece so I dropped the trailer and took the truck out to try and duplicate the prob. The light would stay on but no matter how hard I tried, I could not get the loss of power to happen.
The next morning I started the truck and the light was off. Decided to drive it back home (without trailer)and drop off at the dealer. Again, I tried to duplicate the prob and could not.
Dealer found code p0306. They ended up changing 5&6 coil and one plug. Also performed tsb 12-6-4.
I only drove it home from the dealer so I don't know if this is over? Can't tell u how dangerous it was having the truck slow to 30 with cars coming at u going 70+. Hope this works because if it happens again, and I survive, I'm going to raise some hell!!!! For what it is worth???

#8 Boosted Pickle

Boosted Pickle

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationManitoba
  • Current Vehicle:2000 Taurus, 2011 EcoBoost XTR F150

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:42 AM

Can't tell u how dangerous it was having the truck slow to 30 with cars coming at u going 70+. Hope this works because if it happens again, and I survive, I'm going to raise some hell!!!! For what it is worth???

Jokin' around here...but I'd stay in the right lane if I were you, that way it doesn't really matter how fast traffic is coming at you, they're safely in their lane, you're safely in yours. :P

#9 Jpuch

Jpuch

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

Jokin' around here...but I'd stay in the right lane if I were you, that way it doesn't really matter how fast traffic is coming at you, they're safely in their lane, you're safely in yours. :P

#10 enoughbull

enoughbull

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationwaterloo
  • Current Vehicle:f150 supercrew xtr

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

I have owned my 2011 Ecoboost for 6 months now, have 8500 miles on it, and am very disappointed with the fuel mileage that I’m getting (best on HWY is 15.8 & worst is 12.7, 14.075 AVG over the 8500 miles on my truck, calculations were done by hand). My 2008 Tundra was getting better mileage than my Ecoboost, and it was lifted 3” with Oversized 20” wheels.
I have read most of the posts on this forum concerning issues people are experiencing with fuel mileage, and the comments from those that are not trying to bash the Ford product. I’m tired of those talking about a break-in period, as I haven’t seen any substantial increase in MPGs over my 8500 miles. I’m also tired of those saying “well it’s a truck you shouldn’t expect great gas mileage”. These people obviously haven’t seen the Ford commercials touting the great fuel economy we are all supposed to be getting! I know there is an issue with my engine when others are getting 17 to 18 in the city and 21 to 23 on the highway.

I have been to my dealer several times complaining of my poor fuel mileage, and why I have black soot around my tailpipe. They finally brought in a Ford field service engineer to look at why my truck was not getting the fuel mileage Ford said I should be getting. He took my truck for a 50 mile road test, and according to the computer he hooked up to my truck, it is getting an average of 17.2 miles per gallon, which is within Fords tolerances. I told the dealership that 50 miles is not a valid test, as it should be hand calculated with a few tanks of gas.

In my frustration I found email addresses for the CEO on down from Ford, and wrote a letter to them voicing my disappointment with my Ecoboost F150. They wrote me back telling me that according to the reports from the Field Service Engineer, there is no issue with my truck. They also said that there is nothing they can do if the computer system does not tell them that there is anything wrong with my truck. I am so done with my F150 and the purchase of any Ford product in the future. I feel that there is a problem with many Ecoboost engines out there, and Ford wants to ignore it. I thought that I had a Friday built truck or a lemon, but the more I read on all of these forums, there is an issue with this engine even if Ford doesn’t want to admit it.

I traded my 2008 Toyota Tundra in on my F150 after viewing the video that Ford produced touting the engineering that went into this truck, the torque it produced, and all this with great fuel economy. Right now I’m trying to find a dealership that will buy my F150 so I can go back to a Tundra! I will have to say that Ford did a great job with the design fit and finish of the Interior on the F150.

You're Tundra NEVER EVER got better fuel economy than the ecoboost. I'm sick of these butthurt people always mentioning toyota like it's some sort of threat. Next time keep your tundra and NEVER EVER buy a ford. The toyota tundra with a 5.7 gets 13mpg highway and 9 mpg city.....if it's a 4.6 it's 15 mpg highway and 10 in the city and ditto for the 4.7. the tundra is a pig on gas and it's well known to everyone but the toyota liars. Now if you have a problem with your new ford then get it fixed or else sell it. I don't know who would buy a tundra that had frames rotting out. tailgates breaking, tranny's overheating, camshafts snapping , crappy fit and finish and just a plain shitty ride. The f150 is 100 times the vehicle.

#11 enoughbull

enoughbull

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationwaterloo
  • Current Vehicle:f150 supercrew xtr

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

HERE IS SOMETHING NEW TO READ!
FELLOW ECO-BOOST OWNERS: LOOK AT THIS FROM A FORD MASTER TECH!

"Sorry to hear about your concerns on your new Ford F-150 Eco-Boost. I ran your vin and there is a service message for a lack of power concern with possible mil light on and code p0299 stored for turbo performance. The procedure is to check the intercooler and ducting with the smoke test, you may have a boost leak from your intercooler or ducting. Lack of power with turbos will cause possible bad mpgs and poor performance issues".

I know your aware of Turbo lag, so I'm not concerned with that. Have your Ford Tech check for these issues and then get back to me.

I checked all the hoses and fittings an nothing was loose. I could have a frozen or stuck Turbo???

MY 2012 F150 ECO-BOOST has had terrible performance since day 1 and the fuel mileage is almost never over 15mpg, in town it's worse! My wife's Toyota Avalon will blow the doors off the F150 Eco-Boost and so will my daughters Chevy Impala! I've got the tow package & 3:73 gears. When passing the engine seems to run out of steam at about 75 mph! Three (3) times now I have NOT been able to pass a slower vehicle and I had to "Back-Off" the throttle and move back into my lane! We went to the local airport and tested the Eco-Boost against the 2012 Chevy V6 impala and with my wife's 2007 Toyota Avalon with 295 hp. Both other vehicles "BLEW MY DOORS OFF" for acceleration. I took it into the local dealer and he said they couldn't fins anything wrong with the Truck. I'M PRETTY PISSED OFF!

The Truck scares me now, as when I need the extra power it just doesn't have it! My 2008 Chevy 1 ton diesel with 3:73 gears will blow the F150 Eco-Boost away! Something is very wrong and FORD needs to step up to the plate and help me and others that have issues with this Eco-Boost engine.

Anyone got any comments or ideas!

GLWBEAR

Here's an idea, stop racing it's a truck not a sports car ffs

#12 johnny837

johnny837

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Locationcalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Ecoboost XLT Crew Cab

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:24 AM

Hello sorry to hear your not happy with your EC..I just bought 1 last month.. have not have any problems with passing or anything.. I feel that most ppl that bought this engine when it 1st came out should of waited.. let all the little bugs get worked out..that why i bought mine in 2012/09/21..later year..more problems slove with the engine, oil plug..lack of power..my mpg is 17.5..happy with it..haven't took a long trip yet. i will in time..I have read alot of post about the EB..my only concern is that nice big hole in the bumper where the intercooler sit.. I covered mine..rather loose abit of power as they say vers relacing an intercooler.. although my EB has 3:15 rear and XLT crew cab. dont plan on towing anything yet it came with the tow package.. as of this post I am very happy with my EB..and boy there power its there..getting on the freeway and you hit it..look down doing a 100mp..always have to watch that..it's stock..17's and planning on putting 20's..with 275/55/20..GOOD LUCK TO ALL>>ENJOY>>

#13 YCFLAMING

YCFLAMING

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

To all F-150 Eco-boost owners, I have been experiencing the same problem with the loss of power.
Ford came out with a repair october 30 2012, that would be changing the charge air cooler for the turbo.
This should prevent any condensation for entering in the fuel/air mixture.
They will start by putting a patch which is an air deflector plate. After a week or so just call your dealer and say that you are experiencing the same problem.
Only then will they change the charge air cooler. Only the 2013 built after September have this problem corrected.
See article TSB 12-10-19 from Ford motor Company.

Good luck to all

#14 srlewis76

srlewis76

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationGreenwood, SC
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Screw Lariat 2wd 3:55 Gears

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

Thanks to YCFLAMING for the post: I took my truck in yesterday as I have had all of the issues listed in TSB 12-10-19. Ford could not duplicate the issue and there were no codes; did get the latest flash which makes the vehicle more jumpy when immediately started and placed into reverse. I have taken this truck in several times for the same issues (lack of power when merging or accelerating not always but it does happen, 6th gear which I thought was a trans problem, I have only received flashes. I contacted customer service who contacted the dealer and set up for me to take it in again for them to drive it (did so this evening). I stated that they already drove it and what the TSB does:" intermitent engine surge during moderate to light loads" (pulling boat / up hill), "stumble and/or misfire on hard acceleration after an extended drive at highway speeds during high humid or damp conditions" (merge onto I-95 loss of power; dangerously close to rear end collision), "this COULD result in a steady or flashing malfunction indicator lamp". Not quite sure how they thought they could duplicate the issue with a short trip around the block with the given weather. It's a shame they won't believe your word when you have put 18,000 miles and had it in for service for the issues listed in the TSB, before it was even released. I am very disappointed with Ford service and customer service. I tried trading the truck a few months after having it and was gonna get slammed. I have tried recently to trade and gotten the same, can't even get the necessary repair! According to the prior post they are adding those parts to new vehicles,which was verified by customer service rep over the phone today. I'm getting roughly 15.9 mpg city and highway. I have also had issues with the gas gauge not reading correctly and the mpg til empty being way off. Today said 14 til empty then jumped to 84 while driving and I had not put gas in for 3days.

Edited by srlewis76, 06 November 2012 - 06:37 PM.

#15 NCEcoboost

NCEcoboost

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina
  • Current Vehicle:2012 F150 Ecoboost Screw

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

Hi,
I am in my 40's and I am a first time Ford owner, and the Ecoboost is what drew me to Ford. I have been on top of the world with my new 2012 screw with 3.31 gears. I have been getting 18.5-21 mpg here in the mountains of NC with all the power I will ever need, giving my traction control a fit keeping the tires from spinning. At just over 7,000 miles my truck began acting like it was possesed by a demon. This thing started shimming and the dash would all go blank while driving down the highway. The speedometer would go to zero, I even had the thing stall at a red light for at least 10 seconds like it wasn't even running. The first time I took my truck to Ken Wilson Ford here in the N.C mountains, I was disappointed when they said all they could do was reset the computer and send me down the road. After the 3rd episode of my truck trying to take off in 5th gear instead of 1st, Ken Wilson found a code in my trucks tranny that showed a sensor that had gone bad. When they changed it, they also changed the wiring harness in the transmission. The service manager told me the tranny was causing the main computer to flip out, so I think this may have fixed mine and I don't have to have a demon exorcised from my truck...lol. I wanted to come on here and post this to let you guys know that there are reasons for these problems and they can be fixed. I have owned Chevy's, and Dodge trucks, but this Ecoboost is the baddest sob I have ever owned.

#16 johnny837

johnny837

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Locationcalifornia

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:54 AM

Im sorry you guys are having all these problems..with your ECOBOOST..as for me.. I love my truck my highway mileage is 24.9 and around the city im getting 17.8...so far so good..Ive learn using curse control works best on the highway.. :banvictory: I dont have it with all the tow pakage..yet it did come with some.. 3:15 rear.. so think I can tow 8400lbs..which is good enough for any size boat that i may want to pull... my SC was built on 8/12..maybe thats it not sure..just some times ppl end up with lemons.. its a fact..well good luck to all..hope all your problems work out.. B)

#17 Jpuch

Jpuch

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

Good to see all is well johnny837. You and your dancing banana might want to give it some more time. When conditions are right, that's when it will happen! Then the fun begains. Happy days!

#18 johnny837

johnny837

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Locationcalifornia

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

Jpuch... Well I hope nothing doesnt happen..still getting 24.9 on the freeway.. heck today 11/20/2012..I reset and got 28.7..i dont know what it is.. i have 2526 on it.. so maybe Im not as hard as some of you guys are..I dont know anyways.. :banvictory: :happy feet: B) LATZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!

#19 amascio

amascio

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationHumble
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F150 FX4 Ecoboost

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

ON another forum, several owners that have had the less than stellar mileage have found that this engine is very sensitive to spark plug gap.  Ford has changed the spark plug gap from almost .040 to .032 - that's huge in the world of blown engines. Those who have changed out the spark plugs and gapped the new ones to .030 -.032 report increased mileage, better full boost performance and a smoother idle. Just thought I'd mention it. 

#20 robertlane

robertlane

• Moderators
  • 209 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI
  • Current Vehicle:Shelby GT500, E350

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

ON another forum, several owners that have had the less than stellar mileage have found that this engine is very sensitive to spark plug gap.  Ford has changed the spark plug gap from almost .040 to .032 - that's huge in the world of blown engines. Those who have changed out the spark plugs and gapped the new ones to .030 -.032 report increased mileage, better full boost performance and a smoother idle. Just thought I'd mention it. 

That's a huge gap difference in any engine!  Did Ford issue a change or TSB on this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users