Ford F150 EcoBoost Owners Welcomes You!

Custom Search

Advertise here and reach the F150 Ecoboost community. Click here to find out more.

Ford F150 EcoBoost Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Ford F150 EcoBoost Forum welcomes you to our community! Like most online communities, you must register to post, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. By becoming a member, you'll enjoy these benefits and more:

Receive special discount offers on apparel, parts and merchandise!
• Start new topics and reply to others
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Get your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Post your photos to the gallery
• View fewer ads. . .more

Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

F150 EcoBoost Apparel

F150 EcoBoost Hat

F150 EcoBoost Key Chain

F150 EcoBoost Shirt

F150 EB Exhaust

Shop For More Here

Photo
- - - - -

Need advice: Winch mount and offroad bumper

offroad winch bumper

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TruckMan

TruckMan

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSouthwest
  • Current Vehicle:2012 F150 Lariat 4x4 Offroad EcoBoost

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:00 AM

BACKGROUND

I bought a 2012 Ford F150 EcoBoost 4x4 with the offroad package. I want to add a 12-16,000# winch to the front. I'll have to buy some sort of winch mount and/or offroad bumper to mount it. I expect to do only occasional, relatively mild offroading, recovery of snow or sand-stuck vehicles and things like stump pulling. I'm new to this topic so want to do the right thing and avoid any common pitfalls.

A possible Winch mount I've found is the Warn Gen II Trans4mer: http://www.warn.com/...er_Gen_II.shtml

A possible offroad bumper with winch mount I've found is the Road Warrior Stealth Winch Bumper: http://www.roadarmor...t-number-66130B

Both of these say they have F150 EcoBoost versions.

QUESTIONS

(1) It looks like mounting a winch will add 100-150 pounds to the front of the truck. Replacing the front bumper with an offroad bumper will add another approx 250 pounds. How does this affect handling, traction, payload capacity, etc.?

(2) If I replace the stock bumper with something like the Road Armor offroad bumper how does that affect the frame in a front-end collision? Or the crumple zone designed into the truck? Or the airbag system?

(3) In looking at offroad bumpers I've seen a wide variety of bars and grilles. Where I live I need to worry about rocks, sand and desert bushes, but not deer, moose, trees, or heavy brush, so I'm thinking that just the bumper without additional bars and grilles would probably serve my needs. It's questionable about whether I'll ever add a bank of offroad lights. Am I missing something by considering only a minimal bumper?

Any advice or wisdom you can share would be appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by TruckMan, 03 September 2012 - 10:41 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 Hutch

Hutch

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • Current Vehicle:F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 3.73

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:55 PM

TruckMan,

The linkys no worky.

I been thinking some sort of portable winch w/a rear mounting system.

No extra weight on the front,winch can be stored out of sight [under the rear seat] and no issues with airflow to the intercooler.

Hutch

#3 TruckMan

TruckMan

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSouthwest
  • Current Vehicle:2012 F150 Lariat 4x4 Offroad EcoBoost

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:45 PM

o I fixed the links.

o There are two problems (for me) with the portable winch approach: (1) the only mounts I've found for this approach are winch carriers that attach to a trailer hitch. The only trailer hitches I've found are rated up to a 10,000# straight pull. I want to use a 12,000 to 16,000# winch, which is beyond the capacity of this approach. (2) If I'm stuck in mud, etc. I don't want to try to slog through the mud (etc.) with a 200# winch on its carrier, then try to attach it to the front or rear hitch.

#4 bohnman

bohnman

• F150 EB Member
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationStone Park IL
  • Current Vehicle:2011 F150 Ecoboost

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:41 AM

I agree with Hutch the ecoboost has the large opening in the bumper for the Intercooler from the looks of your picture that bumper would block air flow. That being said those bumpers look freakin cool as hell. :)

I would think you would want to mount the winch up high above the intercooler.

As for crumple zones and airbags. the bumper and the grill are made to crumple on the airbag sensors so you could affect that but with that giant bumper infront I think if you get into an accident large enough to crumple that bumper your truck will be totaled anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users